The Banished Zone, known as the Removed from play Zone or Removed Zone prior to the PSCT update, is a semi-official term used to refer to the location where a player's banished cards are placed. It has also been referred to as the banished pile, or the removed from play pile (sometimes formatted as removed-from-play pile) prior to the PSCT update.
The Banished Zone is not actually a zone, and as such, it is not included on official playmats. Instead of using the term "Banished Zone", card texts directly refer to "cards that are banished" or "the player's banished cards" (previously "the player's removed from play cards" or "the player's cards that are removed from play").
Most video games place banished cards either to the right of or above the Graveyard Zone. The artwork of one particular card, "Chain Material", explicitly shows an example of where banished cards may be placed.
In the anime, there is no place on a Duel Disk to place banished cards. In the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, Seto Kaiba is seen placing his banished cards to the right of his Deck Zone while Dueling using his Duel Disk connected to a Dueling Arena. In the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime, Duelists utilize their pockets for banished cards. Other series do not draw attention to the physical locations of cards.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME » Round 5 Feature Match: Astro Marc Hahn vs. Botanist Willie Newsome
- Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME » Round 6 Feature Match: William Erker vs. David Sanville
- Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME » Sunday’s Dragon Duel: Tombkeeper-Initiate Nathan Swaim VS Zealous Cole Agan
- Yu-Gi-Oh! episode 194: "One Step Ahead - Part 1" - Seto Kaiba banishes "X-Head Cannon" due to the effect of "Valkyrie Erste"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode 58: "A New Breed of a Hero, Part 1" - Jaden Yuki banishes his monsters with "Miracle Fusion"