When this card is attacked while equipped with a monster, the opponent takes all battle damage this card's controller would have taken. In the manga version, this card could equip itself with more than one monster at one time.
Its attack is called Pilphered Power Attack in the dub. In the original, this card's attack is called Illusion Black Magic while equipped with "Dark Magician". Its effect to equip itself with an opponent's monster is called Hypnotic Attraction in the dub and Dark Eyes Magic in the original. Its effect to destroy the equipped monster in place of itself in battle is Defense Shield in the dub and Sacrifice Shield in the original.
In the anime, when this card absorbs a monster, it absorbs it into a vortex created by the bottom hole on its lower section. While equipped with a monster in the anime, its wings will close up and the monster equipped will be shown attached to this card's wings. When the equipped monster is destroyed, this card's wings open back up.
- In episode 38, Maximillion Pegasus uses this card during his Duel against Yami Yugi. He Ritual Summons this card via "Black Illusion Ritual" where he sacrifices Dark-Eyes Illusionist. He then activates this card's effect to equip itself with Yami Yugi's "Curse of Dragon" (who was rendered immobile earlier due to the effect of "Dark-Eyes Illusionist") and gain its ATK and DEF. "Dark Magician" then attacks this monster, but Pegasus destroys "Curse of Dragon" in order to prevent this card from being destroyed. Due to this card's last effect, Yugi takes the Battle Damage that Pegasus would have taken. This card's ATK and DEF then decreased to their original value. Pegasus then activates this monster's effect to equip itself with Yugi's "Dark Magician" and gain its ATK and DEF. Later this card attacks and destroys Yugi Muto's "Feral Imp". Doing this wore out Yugi due to stress of the Shadow Game, causing Yami Yugi to permanently take over the Duel. Later this card attacks and destroys Yami Yugi's "Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress". Pegasus then summons his "Jigen Bakudan" with the intention of using the effect of "Jigen Bakudan" to destroy both this monster and Yugi's "Dark Magician" and win the duel for him. In the next episode, Yami Yugi activates "Mystic Box" to free his "Dark Magician" and have "Jigen Bakudan" be the equip card on this monster instead. On Yami Yugi's turn, he activates "Brain Control" to take control of this monster until the End Phase although Pegasus considered the move suicide since "Jigen Bakudan" detonates this turn, but Yami Yugi activates "Dark Magic Ritual" to Tribute "Dark Magician" and "Jigen Bakudan" and Ritual Summon "Magician of Black Chaos" which saves himself from losing due to the effect of "Jigen Bakudan". At the End Phase, control of this card goes back to Pegasus. Pegasus then activates "Polymerization" to fuse this card with "Thousand-Eyes Idol" and Fusion Summon "Thousand-Eyes Restrict".
- In episode 106, this card can be seen when Duke Devlin, Tristan Taylor, and Serenity Wheeler were building their Virtual World Decks for their Duel against Nezbitt.
- In episode 35, Chazz Princeton uses this card during his Duel against Slade Princeton. He activates "Painful Choice" and selects this card, "Castle Gate", "Thunder Crash", "Copycat", and "Royal Magical Library" for the effect of "Painful Choice". Slade chooses to add "Thunder Crash" to Chazz's hand, so the four monsters go to the Graveyard.
- In episode 39, this card can be seen on the ground after Chazz drops some of his cards after explaining who the culprits behind the theft of the Spirit Keys were.
- In episode 88, this card appears within a series of flashbacks Chazz has when Jaden Yuki reminds him that the Ojamas got him to the top of North Academy and freed him from the curse his brothers placed on him.
- In the Spanish dub, this card was known as "Abandonado", and as "Despojo" in the dub for the American Spanish-speaking countries.
- In the French dub, this card was known as "L'Abandonné", which means "The Abandoned".
- In the non-canon duel YCS Providence 2012 Special: Mai, Joey and Yugi vs. Pegasus and Bakura, Pegasus uses this card against Mai Valentine. Pegasus Ritual Summons this card with "Black Illusion Ritual" after Tributing "Dragon Piper". The same turn, this card equips Mai's "Amazoness Chain Master" to itself and attacks Mai's "Harpie Lady". This card is then affected by Mai's "Mirror Wall", causing "Harpie Lady" to defeat this card in battle. "Amazoness Chain Master" is destroyed instead of "Relinquished", and Mai receives all battle damage Pegasus would have taken. During Main Phase 2, Pegasus activates "Polymerization" to use this card as Fusion Material with "Thousand-Eyes Idol" for the Fusion Summon of "Thousand-Eyes Restrict".