Card Tips:Number 88: Gimmick Puppet of Leo
- Easy level 8 cards: Beast King Barbaros, Parsec, the Interstellar Dragon, Gagaga Magician, and possibly Blue-Eyes White Dragon with some of its support cards.
- Protecting this card from your opponent if you use its effect is difficult, but one way to do so, at least from an attack, is with "Necro Gardna".
- After activating its effect, you can Set protection cards that are easily activated, such as "Forbidden Lance", "Waboku" and "Compulsory Evacuation Device", so that you once again control no Spell/Trap Cards during your next turn.
- You can also protect this card by using monsters' effects. Some examples of monsters who can protect it from attacks include "Belial - Marquis of Darkness", "Card Blocker", "Dupe Frog", "Ghost Gardna" and "Patrician of Darkness".
- You can protect this card with cards which activates their effects from your hand, like "Herald of Orange Light", "Herald of Green Light" and "Herald of Purple Light".
- Skill Prisoner is excellent to protect Leo from many Toolbox monsters (Generic Xyz / Tenki + Bear) for 2 turns. Set the trap after using Leo's effect the 1st time, activate it next turn to protect Leo; Use Leo's effect again and activate the trap from your grave during what could be your opponent's last turn, gaining the final counter next turn.
- Remember that this card specifies Spell & Trap Card Zone. As such, you may have a Field Spell while using this card's effect.
- It is very hard to make a deck that can both easily summon and continuously protect this card. Try one with few level 8s and uses spells that change monster levels like "Galaxy Queen's Light". Most of the other monsters should have effects that stop attacks and effects that remove this card from the field like the ones mentioned in tips above. "Stardust Dragon" is excellent for this monster because he's a valid Xyz Material as well as a safeguard against destruction effects.
- "Prime Material Dragon" is an ideal card to protect you from opponent card effects without using spells/traps. Save drawn spells and traps in the hand as ammunition for Prime Material Dragon's effect to ensure a counter.
- "Number 81: Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Super Dora" is a more challenging but good alternative too.
- "Number 39: Utopia" is a good, easy to summon choice for protecting against monster attacks without using spells/traps. Utopia's effect use can be extended by using cards like "Overlay Regen" and "Spirit Converter".
- If "Number 88: Gimmick Puppet of Leo" is deprived of Xyz Material, "Overlay Regen" and "Spirit Converter" can be used to keep an auto-win viable.
- One possible deck option that could work well with this card, is to add this card to an old "Beast Machine King Barbaros Ür" deck heavy on "Beast King Barbaros." This would allow for several easy plays to get 3 level 8 monsters on the field. Usually two "Beast King Barbaros" (one revived from the graveyard and one summoned at 1900 attack) and one "Beast Machine King Barbaros Ür". These monsters effects, if used properly could also be used to protect this card.
Defenses against this card
- You can use "Counter Cleaner" to remove any Destiny Counters this card may have accumulated, leaving your opponent unable to muster enough replacements to win the duel by this card's effect without first replenishing its Overlay Units.
- Likewise, you can go after the Overlay Units directly with cards like "Overlay Eater" or "Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force", preventing this monster from having enough of them to gain the Destiny Counters it needs in the first place.
- However, be wary of doing this while having low LP, as your opponent could exploit the loss of Xyz Materials by using a "Rank-Up-Magic" card to Summon "Number C88: Gimmick Puppet Disaster Leo" and win anyway.
- Use a card that bounces ("Compulsory Evacuation Device") or flips this card face-down ("Book of Moon") to get rid of its threatening Counters.