The Barian race is able to use an Overlay Network to instantly teleport themselves to another place. The crests utilized by the Vetrix Family are able to do the same. Later in the series, the Different Dimension Airship uses an Overlay Network to travel as well.
An Overlay Network can be used for communication, as sound can travel through them. When used this way, the portal stays open until the message or conversation is finished transmitting.
According to Konami, Xyz Monsters have traveled to Yuma's dimension from the other side of a black hole. When a Duelist performs an Xyz Summon, the Xyz Material monsters transform into streaks of energy, and an Overlay Network appears in the form of a portal that the energy streaks enter. The portal then explodes, and the newly Summoned Xyz Monster unveils itself. In Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V, instead of exploding, a column of blue lightning emerges from the center of the portal. Most Xyz Monsters are Xyz Summoned through a red, spiral-shaped portal, though "Neo Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" utilizes a pink one and "Shark Fortress" a blue; a similar Network is used in Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS. After being Summoned, the Xyz Materials then become Overlay Units that orbit the Xyz Monster as orbs of light.
The "Number" monsters all use a yellow, galaxy-like portal. In addition, the sealed form of the Summoned "Number" appears out of the portal first, before transforming itself into its true form (some "Number" monsters such as "Number 88: Gimmick Puppet of Leo" and "Number 33: Chronomaly Machu Mech" do not have sealed forms and simply emerge complete from the Overlay Network; others such as "Number 9: Dyson Sphere" are too large to ever fit in an Overlay Network and instead materialize in space).
When a Duelist performs an Xyz Evolution (whether through a "Rank-Up-Magic" card or otherwise), the Xyz Monster re-enters the Overlay Network before emerging from it in its upgraded form (usually but not always a "Chaos Xyz" or "Chaos Number" monster). Once the monster re-enters the Network, the Network explodes, often taking the form of a large green orb before the monster reforms.
In Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 6, all Xyz Monsters are depicted as using the standard red spiral portal.
"Galaxy Stealth Dragon" and all Xyz Monsters featured in Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V use the "Number" Overlay Network. Xyz Monsters in Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS use a blue Overlay Network that is created from an array of energy that the Overlay Units enter.
Different Dimension Airship entering the Overlay Network.
A "Number" Overlay Network
A "CXyz" Overlay Network after the monster re-enters
The Overlay Network of "Neo Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon"
The Overlay Network of "Shark Fortress"
The Overlay Network in Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V
The Overlay Network in Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 74: "Attack of the Barians: Part 1"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 43: "The Dragon Awakens"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 95: "The Search for Shadows"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 60: "Doctor Visit"
- "Starter Deck: Dawn of the Xyz". Konami.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 1: "Go With the Flow, Part 1"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 84: "Playing Defense"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS episode 82: "Gored"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 2: "Go With the Flow, Part 2"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 13: "The Number Hunter, Part 1"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 58: "Swimming With Sharks"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 48: "Exit: Astral"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 55: "Portal of Doom"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 18: "It's in the Cards, Part 2"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 83: "Sphere Cube Calamity: Part 2"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 121: "Mission: Astral World, Part 4"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 138: "The New World"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V episode 7: "Mr. Mystery"