The Battle Phase (Japanese: バトルフェイズ Batoru Feizu) is the Phase in which battles are conducted. A Battle Phase can be conducted every turn (except the first turn of the Duel) after the turn player ends their Main Phase 1.
The Battle Phase is split into four steps:
The Start Step, Battle Step, and End Step always occur during every Battle Phase, unless skipped due to a card effect. The Damage Step only occurs if a monster's attack is successful, up to the point where both players agree to leave the Battle Step. If a card effect ends the Battle Phase (such as "Battle Fader"), it immediately becomes the End Step, unless the card effect changes the phase directly (such as "Neko Mane King"), in which case it is no longer the Battle Phase.
Entering the Battle Phase
A player does not need to control any monsters in order to enter their Battle Phase. Even if their opponent controls no valid attack targets (e.g. the opponent only controls 2 face-up copies of "Marauding Captain" and/or a face-up "Earthbound Immortal" monster), a player may still enter their Battle Phase.
A player entering their Battle Phase is optional after their Main Phase 1 ends, except when card effects mandate it. For example, the turn player must enter their Battle Phase if a card effect is forcing a monster(s) they control to attack during that turn, even if another card effect is currently preventing them from attacking, such as a face-up "Gravity Bind". If the turn player does not choose to enter their Battle Phase after their Main Phase 1 ends, they must proceed immediately to the End Phase, without entering their Main Phase 2.
If a card effect skips a player's Main Phase 1, such as that of "Timeater", that player does not have to enter their Battle Phase from their Standby Phase — they may choose to enter their End Phase instead. However, if card effects skip the same player's Main Phase 1 and Battle Phase during the same turn, that player cannot enter their Main Phase 2 and must instead proceed immediately to their End Phase.
- Konami. Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game - Official Rulebook Version 10 (PDF). pp. 34, 37.
- Konami (5 February 2010). Absolute Powerforce – Card Rulings (version 1.0) (PDF). Battle Fader.
- Konami Digital Entertainment (10 June 2015). "Striking from the Darkness: Marik's Juragedo". Konami. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Individual Card Rulings [A-C]". UDE. Command Knight. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Individual Card Rulings [A-C]". UDE. Battle Mania. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Individual Card Rulings [A-C]". UDE. Berserk Gorilla. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- Konami. Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game - Official Rulebook Version 10 (PDF). p. 34.
- Konami (2 February 2011). Storm of Ragnarok – Card Rulings (version 1.0) (PDF). Terminal World.
- "Individual Card Rulings [S-T]". UDE. Timeater. Archived from the original on 26 February 2009. Retrieved 18 August 2015.