The "Tri-Brigade" monsters are part of the same lore as the "Dogmatika" archetype, commonly referred to as the 'Abyss' lore.
The name "Tri-Brigade", in its original Japanese incarnation, could be a portmanteau consisting of "tri" (referencing their 3 different Types), "tribe", "brigand" and "brigade". The kanji text corresponding to the "Tri-Brigade" reading in the Japanese names of the "Tri-Brigade" monsters is 鉄獣戦線 (tetsujū sensen), literally "Iron Beast Frontline".
"Tri-Brigade" monsters are in the form of humanoid beasts and birds, wearing masks or goggles, and all "Tri-Brigade" monsters are equipped with shooting weapons except Tri-Brigade Kitt.
The "Tri-Brigade" archetype revolves around Special Summoning Link Monsters by banishing "Link Materials" from their Graveyard, and performing combos with Beast, Beast-Warrior, and Winged Beast Type (nicknamed "tri-type") monsters.
All Main Deck "Tri-Brigade" monsters share the same following once per turn effect:
- "You can banish any number of Beast, Beast-Warrior, and/or Winged Beast monsters in your GY; Special Summon 1 Beast, Beast-Warrior, or Winged Beast Link Monster from your Extra Deck, with Link Rating equal to the number banished, also you can only use Beast, Beast-Warrior, and Winged Beast monsters as Link Material for the rest of this turn."
This shared effect allows the "Tri-Brigade" archetype to easily Special Summon high-Link Rating Link Monsters with little loss to their on-field card advantage, as long as they have enough monsters in the Graveyard.
The individual once per turn effects of the Main Deck "Tri-Brigade" monsters, in addition to their shared effects, are the following:
|Fraktall||The player can send this card from their hand or field to the GY to send 1 Level 3 or lower "tri-type" monster from the Deck to the GY.|
|Kitt||The player can send 1 "Tri-Brigade" card from the Deck to the GY, except "Tri-Brigade Kitt", if this card is sent to the GY.|
|Nervall||The player can add 1 "Tri-Brigade" monster from their Deck to their hand, except "Tri-Brigade Nervall", if this card is sent to the GY.|
|Kerass||The player can discard 1 other "tri-type" monster to Special Summon this card from their hand.|
Using these four effects in sequence allows a repeatable and consistent combo to set up the Graveyard and perform a Special Summon of a Link Monster using the shared "Tri-Brigade" effect. With "Fraktall" in hand, "Fraktall" will discard itself and send "Kitt" to the GY. "Kitt" will activate to send "Nervall" to the GY. "Nervall" will activate to add "Kerass" to the hand. "Kerass" can be Normal Summoned or Special Summoned (with its own effect), and use its shared "Tri-Brigade" effect to Special Summon a Link Monster with a Link Rating anywhere between Link 1 to 3, as there are at least 3 "tri-type" monsters in the GY.
The four "Tri-Brigade" Link Monsters provide the archetype with consistency, recovery, and disruption effects. Each of these monsters have two once per turn effects: one relating to Special Summoning a Level 4 or lower "tri-type" monster (save for "Shuraig"), and one that is optionally triggered when the monster is sent to the GY.
|Tri-Brigade||Effect 1||Effect 2 (If this card is sent to the GY: You can...)|
|Ferrijit||Special Summon a Level 4 or lower "tri-type" monster from the hand. The player can only use "tri-type" monsters as Link Material for the rest of the turn after activating this effect.||Draw 1 card, then put 1 card from the hand to the bottom of Deck.|
|Bearbrumm||Discard 2 cards to Special Summon a Level 4 or lower banished "tri-type" monster.||Add 1 "Tri-Brigade" Spell/Trap from the Deck to the hand, then put 1 card from the hand to the bottom of Deck. The player can only Special Summon "Tri-Brigade" monsters for the rest of the turn after activating this effect.|
|Rugal||Special Summon a Level 4 or lower "tri-type" monster from the hand or GY during the opponent's Main Phase with its effects negated, and it's returned to the hand in the End Phase.||Decrease the ATK of opposing monster's by 300 for each Monster Type the player controls, until the end of this turn.|
|Shuraig||The player can banish 1 card on the field if this card or another "tri-type" monster is Special Summoned to the player's field.||Add 1 "tri-type" monster from the Deck to the hand whose Level is less than or equal to the number of banished "tri-type" monsters.|
- "Airborne Assault" Special Summons a "tri-type" monster from the Deck, providing more monsters for use as Link Materials.
- "Rendezvous" provides additional ATK and a destruction prevention effect in the GY.
- "Stand-Off" searches "Tri-Brigade" monsters.
- "Oath" Special Summons a "tri-type" monster from the hand or GY, and has a conditional Spell/Trap negation in the GY.
- "Revolt" is arguably the most important "Tri-Brigade" Spell/Trap card due to the amount of card advantage it generates. "Revolt" can Special Summon any number of "tri-type" monsters that are banished or in the GY, and then immediately performs a Link Summon of a "Tri-Brigade" Link Monster using only those monsters. Successfully resolving "Revolt" allows one to Link Summon a "Tri-Brigade" Link Monster on the opponent's turn (typically "Shuraig" for its disruption effect), recur banished "tri-type" monsters back into the GY (allowing for more activations of "Tri-Brigade" effects), and trigger the effects of "tri-type" monsters that activate if they are sent to the GY for more card advantage (e.g. the in-archetype "Nervall", "Shuraig", or "Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Raven").
Due to the importance of "Revolt" to the overall resource strategy of the "Tri-Brigade" archetype, "Tri-Brigade Bearbrumm the Rampant Rampager" is almost always Summoned during a Turn 1 setup to search for "Revolt".
- "Zoodiac Tri-Brigade": "Zoodiac" monsters can use their ability to Xyz Summon multiple monsters on top of a single "Zoodiac" monster to quickly set up the GY with multiple Beast-Warrior monsters for the "Tri-Brigade" effects. They also allow an easy access to a multiple-material "Divine Arsenal AA-ZEUS - Sky Thunder" for board-clearing.
- "Lyrilusc Tri-Brigade": Like "Zoodiac", "Lyrilusc" can also rapidly generate set up the GY with many "Winged Beast" monsters for "Tri-Brigade" effects. They also provide access to their own archetypal boss monsters, and "Tri-Brigade Nervall" synergizes especially well with them since "Nervall" is also a Level 1 Winged Beast monster.