|It is with heavy hearts that we mourn the passing of our game's creator, Kazuki Takahashi.|
This article may require cleanup to meet this wiki's standards.
"True Draco" and "True King", known as "True Dragon" (
In the OCG, "True King" is known as "True Dragon King" (
In the TCG, while "True Draco" and "True King" are technically two different archetypes, all cards that support the two archetypes simultaneously support both, meaning that there is no mechanical difference between TCG and OCG.
The "True Kings" are Level 9 Wyrm monsters whose combined ATK and DEF equal 4800, and have shared patterns of effects. Each "True King", with the exception of "Mariamne", is related antagonistically to another archetype released in the same set as themselves, who share the same Attribute as themselves.
|True King||Attribute||Rival Archetype||Battle||Released In|
|Agnimazud||FIRE||Metalfoes||Metalfoes Combination||The Dark Illusion|
|Bahrastos||WATER||Crystron||Crystron Impact||Invasion: Vengeance|
|Lithosagym||EARTH||Zoodiac||Zoodiac Combo||Raging Tempest|
Lore-wise, "Mariamne" appears to be an opponent to the other "True Kings" and an ally of the "True Dracos", as hinted in the artwork and name of "Disciples of the True Dracophoenix" and in the artwork of "True Draco Heritage". It has a benevolent mien, in contrast to the aggressive, destructive figure of the other "True Kings", and she appears to share a connection to "Master Peace, the True Dracoslaying King", as indicated by the wings and the symbol on the shield of "Master Peace". She is also the only female member of the series.
While "Mariamne" has a different naming pattern from the other True Kings in the TCG ("True King [name], the [noun]"), she partially shares their naming pattern in the OCG ("Shinryū'ō [name] [title]"). Her OCG name lacks the title, and uses the character 凰 ("phoenix") instead of 皇 ("king") for the ō character, which is homophonous and also shares a character component.
In terms of artwork, each "True Draco" is related to an archetype released in Series 9. The 1-Tribute "True Draco" monsters are each related to one of the three "Dracoslayer"-related Pendulum archetypes released in the first half of Series 9.
|True Draco||Attribute||Referenced Archetype||Special Summon counterpart|
|Ignis Heat||FIRE||Igknight||Ignister Prominence|
|Dinomight Knight||WATER||Dinomist||Dinoster Power|
|Majesty Maiden||WIND||Majespecter||Majester Paladin|
|Dreiath III||EARTH||Amorphage||Amorphactor Pain|
|Master Peace||LIGHT||Dracoslayer||Master Peace|
"Master Peace, the True Dracoslayer" is also technically a "True Draco" monster, but it is more strongly related to, and has more synergy with, the "Dracoslayer"/"Dracoverlord" archetypes rather than "True Draco".
Each "True King" monster has two effects, with a hard once per turn condition attached to each. The first effect destroys friendly monsters to Special Summon the "True King" from hand, and has an additional non-targeting banishing component that can be used if the two destroyed monsters match its own Attribute. The second effect is a floating effect that is triggered if they're destroyed by a card effect, and floats into a Wyrm monster with a different Attribute from its own.
- If this card is in your hand: You can destroy 2 other monsters in your hand and/or face-up field, including a(n) [Attribute] monster... Special Summon this card... [and if] both destroyed monsters were [Attribute], you can [Banishing Effect].
- If this card is destroyed by card effect: You can [add/Special Summon] 1 non-[Attribute] Wyrm monster from your [Deck/GY].
|True King||Attribute||Banishing effect||Destroyed effect|
|Agnimazud||FIRE||Banishes 1 monster from the opponent's field or Graveyard.||Adds a non-FIRE Wyrm monster from the Graveyard to the hand.|
|Bahrastos||WATER||Banishes up to 2 Spell/Trap Cards from the opponent's field or Graveyard.||Special Summons a non-WATER Wyrm monster from the Deck.|
|Lithosagym||EARTH||Banishes up to 3 different monsters from the opponent's Extra Deck.||Special Summons a non-EARTH Wyrm monster from the Graveyard.|
|Mariamne||WIND||Banishes 4 cards from the top of the opponent's Main Deck.||Adds a non-WIND Wyrm monster from the Deck to the hand.|
Their boss monster is "True King of All Calamities", a DARK Rank 9 Xyz Monster whose effect turns the Attributes of all monsters on the field into a declared Attribute, while suppressing opposing monsters of that Attribute from activating their effects and attacking. It also allows its controller to destroy opposing monsters in the Summoning process of the "True King" monsters.
Though the "True Draco" and "True King" Spell/Traps can support the "True Kings", they are only weakly supported by them. Most of these Spell/Traps support the "True Draco" playstyle over the "True King" playstyle.
By combining the deck with "Yang Zing" monsters, it is possible to Summon powerful Synchro Monsters such as "Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier", "Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree", and "Shooting Quasar Dragon".
True King Dinosaurs
This build's main goal is to exploit the synergy of "Lithosagym" with EARTH Dinosaur monsters that grant benefits when destroyed, specifically "Petiteranodon" and "Babycerasaurus", crippling the opponent's Extra Deck while Special Summoning Dinosaurs from the Deck in the process and setting up Xyz and Synchro Summons.
- Limits placed on "Dragonic Diagram" significantly limits the consistency of the "True King" playstyle.
- "Mind Drain" can lock the "True Kings" from activating their effects in the hand.
- The variety of Attributes can make them vulnerable to "Gozen Match".
- "Zombie World" nullifies the floating effects of "Agnimazud" and "Lithosagym".
The "True Draco" revolve around Tribute Summoning. Its core members all share the ability to be Tribute Summoned by Tributing the player's Continuous Spell or Traps, allowing for Tribute Summons with minimal setup. Their individual effects can be divided into two types: some search for "True Draco" and "True King" cards, while others provide (or have) protection on the field.
The "True Draco" monsters are the main beneficiaries of the main "True Draco" and "True King" Spell/Traps. These cards are all Continuous Spell/Traps, setting up the Tribute Summons of "True Dracos". They each have three effects:
- An individual activated effect.
- A shared activated effect to immediately perform a Tribute Summon. The Continuous Spells can only activate this effect in the player's Main Phase, while the Continuous Traps can only do so in the opponent's Main Phase.
- A shared GY-activated effect that is triggered when they're sent from the field to the GY (such as by being tributed), and destroys a card on the field. The Continuous Spells destroy a Spell/Trap, and the Continuous Traps destroy a monster.
|Spell/Trap||Card Type||Activated Effect|
|Disciples||Continuous Spell||Shuffle 3 "TD"/"TK" cards from GY into Deck, draw 1 card.|
|Heritage||Draw cards equal to the number of "TD"/"TK" card types (Monster, Spell, Trap) sent from field to GY this turn.|
|Apocalypse||Continuous Trap||Destroy 1 other "TD"/"TK" card, halve the ATK/DEF of all opposing face-up monsters.|
|Return||Special Summon 1 "TD"/"TK" monster from GY in Defense, also you cannot Special Summon for the rest of this turn.|
The main supporting monsters of the sub-archetype are "Dinomight Knight, the True Dracofighter", "Ignis Heat, the True Dracowarrior", and "Majesty Maiden, the True Dracocaster". They're all at Levels 5 and 6, meaning they only require 1 tribute to summon. They each have a once per turn effect to search for or activate a "True Draco" or "True King" card from the Deck when the opponent activates a card or effect. "Dinomight Knight" searches Traps, "Ignis Heat" searches Spells, and "Majesty Maiden" searches monsters.
The ace monsters of this sub-archetype are "Master Peace, the True Dracoslaying King" and "Metaltron XII, the True Dracombatant". They are unaffected by cards with the same type of the cards Tributed, giving them extremely high protection. The former, which requires 2 cards as tributes, can destroy 1 card on the field as a Quick Effect by banishing a Continuous Spell/Trap Card in the GY. The latter must be summoned by Tributing 3 cards, potentially giving it protection against all cards effects, and once destroyed, replaces itself with a Fusion, Synchro or Xyz Monster of one of the four elemental Attributes.
Generally, the archetype is played with a large amount of Continuous Spell/Trap floodgates, in order to both lock down the opponent and supply the "True Draco" monsters' with Tribute fodder. The "Monarch" Spell/Trap support synergizes well with the archetype. The archetype's lack of a need for Special Summoning means that cards such as "Pot of Duality" and "Domain of the True Monarchs" can be played without much issues in the deck.
- Limits placed on "Dragonic Diagram" negatively impacts the archetype's consistency.
- "Mask of Restrict", "Fog King", and "Zombie World" can prevent the "True Dracos" from being Tribute Summoned.
- Like "True Kings", their variety of Attributes can make them vulnerable to "Gozen Match".
- GY banishing effects like "Macro Cosmos" and "Masked HERO Dark Law" can make the Deck run out of resources by emptying the Graveyard of targets for "Disciples of the True Dracophoenix" and "True King's Return". They also prevent the first effect of "True Draco Heritage" from being activated, as well as the Graveyard effects of the all "True Draco" Continuous Spell/Trap Cards.
- It might be possible that the "True King" and "True Draco" lore has parallels with biblical storylines.
- "Mariamne" and her peaceful appearance would represent Jesus. The "True Dracos" serve as her disciples, as hinted by the artwork and name of "Disciples of the True Dracophoenix".
- "True King of All Calamities" would represent the Beast, or the antichrist. Its Japanese name, "V.F.D.", could be an abbreviation of the Latin phrase Vicarius Filii Dei, meaning "representative of the son of God", and was constructed by opponents of the Pope to "prove" that he is the Beast.
- Also, it is interesting to note that, considering the name pattern of the "True Kings", the Japanese name "V.F.D., the Beast" hints that this monster is an amalgamation of "Vanisher", "Fathomer" and "Disaster", but not "Mariamne", once she would represent the very opposite of the Antichrist and, thus, could not be a constituent part of him.
- "Master Peace, the True Dracoslaying King", with his divine appearance, would represent God, father of Jesus, as its shield has the symbol present on the head of "Mariamne".
- Alternatively, "Mariamne" would represent Mary, mother of Jesus and "Master Peace" would represent Jesus.
- The "True King" archetype shares some similarities with the "Dragon Ruler" archetype:
- Both archetypes depict powerful dragonic beings.
- The main members of both archetypes covers the FIRE, WIND, WATER and EARTH Attributes.
- The main members of both archetypes share a combined sum of ATK and DEF among them; 4800 for "True Kings", 4600 for "Dragon Rulers".
- Both archetypes involve interacting with monsters of their Attributes by banishing/destroying 2 other monsters of that Attribute to Special Summon themselves. Both also have floating effects related to their Typing when they are subject to banishing/destroying effects.
- While "Mariamne" was released alongside a WIND archetype, "Lyrilusc", in vein of the earlier "True Kings" being released with an archetype matching their own attributes, there is no lore connection between "Mariamne" and "Lyrilusc" monsters.