Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 043
|English||Legendary Heroes, Part 1|
|Japanese OP||"V O I C E"|
|Japanese ED||"Energizing Shower"|
|English OP & ED||"Yu-Gi-Oh! Theme"|
|Japanese||February 20, 2001|
|English||October 19, 2002|
|Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes (season 1)|
|Previous||"The Ties of Friendship"|
|Next||"Legendary Heroes, Part 2"|
"Legendary Heroes, Part 1", known as "Big 5's Trap - Duel Monsters Quest" in the Japanese version, is the forty-third episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. It is the first episode of the Legendary Heroes arc. It first aired in Japan on February 20, 2001 and in the United States on October 19, 2002.
On a rainy morning, inside KaibaCorp headquarters, the Kaiba brothers confront The Big Five for making an alliance with Maximillion Pegasus and trying to take over his company. However, the men manipulate Kaiba into trying his new virtual game, Duel Monsters Quest. It is not long before The Big Five reveal their true plan to trap Kaiba in the game, and with Mokuba as their prisoner, they can once again take over KaibaCorp. However, Mokuba grabs Kaiba's Deck and runs off before guards can capture him. He arrives at the Kame Game card shop, where Yugi and his friends are. He explains the whole story to them and they decide they will go into the virtual game via the other terminal in Kaiba Land and rescue Kaiba.
They arrive at the test room where three prototype pods are. Mokuba, Yugi, and Joey enter the game while Tristan and Téa stand guard. The Big Five notice them and send their guards to unplug those pods, which will trap the three boys as well. Tristan and Téa try to hold them off. In the game, Yugi, Mokuba, and Joey arrive in a Graveyard, where they are confronted by three zombie monsters. Remembering that they have 0 DEF, Yugi and Joey manage to defeat them with "Shield & Sword" and "Dark Magician", earning them five coins. They arrive at a village and discover that someone took a stranger through a desert to a temple. They try to cross it, but a tornado knocks them back. An old man tells them in order to cross the desert, they would need the "Niwatori" card, and the only way to get one is by winning it through a Duel against the village's champion.
In the coliseum, Joey takes the offer, despite having lower Life Points than Yugi and Mokuba from the battle with the zombies. He dresses up in a pig outfit and at the ring, discovers the champion is a woman.
Seto Kaiba vs. monsters
- Kaiba encounters a "Two-Headed King Rex" (1600/1200).
- Kaiba Summons "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" (3000/2500).
- "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" attacks and destroys "Two-Headed King Rex".
- Kaiba spots the "Armed Ninja" (300/300) leaping from tree to tree, who throws a card.
- Kaiba uses "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" to attack the thrown card, but the card "Armed Ninja" threw is revealed to be "Dragon Capture Jar" which is unaffected by the attack.
- "Dragon Capture Jar" captures Kaiba's "Blue-Eyes White Dragon".
- "Armed Ninja" then captures Kaiba by throwing a net at him.
Yugi Muto + Joey Wheeler + Mokuba Kaiba vs. monsters
- "Armored Zombie" (1500/0) rises from the grave and is joined by "Dragon Zombie" (1600/0) and "Clown Zombie" (1350/0).
- Mokuba Summons "Rude Kaiser" (1800/1600).
- Yugi Summons "Dark Magician" (2500/2100).
- "Rude Kaiser" attacks and destroys "Dragon Zombie" while "Dark Magician" attacks and destroys "Armored Zombie" and "Clown Zombie".
- The Zombies revive themselves and become stronger than before ("Armored Zombie": 1500 → 1650/0, "Clown Zombie": 1350 → 1450/0, "Dragon Zombie": 1600 → 1760/0).
- Joey Summons "Flame Swordsman" (1800/1600).
- "Flame Swordsman" attacks and destroys "Dragon Zombie".
- "Dragon Zombie" revives itself and becomes stronger than before ("Dragon Zombie": 1760 → 1920/0).
- "Dragon Zombie" attacks and destroys "Flame Swordsman" (Joey: 2000 → 1820 LP).
- Joey activates "Shield & Sword", swapping the ATK and DEF of every monster on the field ("Armored Zombie": 1650 → 0/0 → 1650, "Clown Zombie": 1450 → 0/0 → 1450, "Dragon Zombie": 1920 → 0/0 → 1920, "Dark Magician": 2500 → 2100/2100 → 2500, "Rude Kaiser": 1800 → 1600/1600 → 1800).
- "Dark Magician" attacks and destroys all three of the zombies. Since the zombies' ATK were 0 when they were destroyed, they do not revive.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
Changes to the dub
- The word "Proto" on the pod is erased in the dub.
- In the Japanese, the sign over the building they're sneaking into says "Adventure Game." In the US version, it's replaced with a big "K".
- The "Keep Out" sign on the rope barrier they run under is removed.
- When Yugi, Joey, and Mokuba see a poster for a "Niwatori" card as the prize to a warrior who can defeat the coliseum's champion. And, even though the writing on the Japanese poster is just a bunch of scribbles, it is redrawn into different scribbles for the US.
- The words "TO BE CONTINUED" are added at the end of the dub.
- In the original version when Yugi and Joey encountered the old man, he kept saying "You need a Koke Card to cross the desert" while in the dub he tells them they need the card but it can only be won.