|Help support Yugipedia by using our Chrome extension, which redirects links to the old Wikia/Fandom site to Yugipedia, ensuring you see the most up-to-date information. Firefox users don't worry—a similar Firefox add-on will be out soon. If you have any issues or find any bugs, be sure to let us know on Discord!|
Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 052
|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 052|
Ushinawareta Farao no Kioku
Lost Memories of the Pharaoh
The Past is Present
|Japanese air date||
April 24, 2001
|English air date||
November 23, 2002
The Afternoon of that Day
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 2)|
|Previous||The Mystery Duelist, Part 2|
"The Past is Present", known as "Lost Memories of the Pharaoh" in the Japanese version, is the fifty-second episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. It first aired in Japan on April 24, 2001, and in the United States on November 23, 2002.
Ishizu Ishtar (who possesses the Millennium Necklace) arrives at Domino City. She invites Seto Kaiba to the museum and introduces him to an interesting tablet which surprises him. This is the first time Kaiba hears about the God Cards. After explaining what the stone tablet represents, Ishizu gives Kaiba one of the Egyptian Gods: "Obelisk the Tormentor". She states to Kaiba that he needs to create a tournament, so that the other two Egyptian Gods can be found. She also states she will let Kaiba use "Obelisk" for the tournament, but she will want it back when the tournament is over. Kaiba refuses to give it back after that is done, believing he will keep it when that happens, but Ishizu sternly states Kaiba will give it back to her. Kaiba leaves, believing he now has what it takes to defeat Yugi and become the number one duelist again.
Differences in adaptations
- In the Japanese version, both the airplane and the cargo container have "Egypt Air" written on them.
- In the Japanese version, the sign reading "Domino Egypt Exhibit" is changed to "Domino Museum."
- The "Keep Out" sign on the door is changed to a graphic of a walking figure with a line and circle over him in the international version.
- In the dub, the conversation between Yugi and Yami that is interspersed within the episode is about facing the new enemy, yet to be known as the "Rare Hunters", and Yugi believing in himself and Yami Yugi believing in Yugi, while in the Japanese the conversation is about Yami Yugi not knowing who he is, having no memories of his past, and that Yami Yugi wishes to stay with Yugi forever even if he never gets his memory back and Yugi wants Yami Yugi to stay as well.
- In the dub, there is a yellow cloud that covers the shots of the past that Ishizu Ishtar shows Seto Kaiba.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- This card belongs to Ishizu, but she gives it to Kaiba at the end of the episode.