Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist Kingdom Gameplay
These are rules that only applied during this arc.
- Each player starts the Duel with 2000 Life Points.
- Neither player can attack directly.
- Monsters can be Normal Summoned without Tributing regardless of Level.
- Depending on where on the island the Duel takes place, there are different types of terrain on the field. Terrain provides a Field Power Bonus to monsters of certain types.
- Only one monster was allowed to declare an attack per player per turn.
- When a monster was destroyed by a card effect, the controller of that card will receive damage equal to half of that monster's ATK points.
- A monster that is treated as an Equip Card is still treated as a monster and therefore can be used for something like Ritual Summons.
- If a player fails to Summon a monster during their turn when they don't control one, they will automatically lose the duel.
These are rules that applied throughout the series in the anime and manga.
- Monsters can be Normal Summoned in face-up Attack Position or face-up Defense Position.
- Set Spell Cards can be activated during the opponent's turn, just like Trap Cards.
- In the manga, Fusion Monsters are not physical cards, but rather simply a combination of their Fusion Material.
- In the manga, Ritual Monsters are not physical cards, but rather monsters created by their corresponding Ritual Spell Card.