|Help support Yugipedia by using our Chrome extension, which redirects links to the old Wikia/Fandom site to Yugipedia, ensuring you see the most up-to-date information. Firefox users don't worry—a similar Firefox add-on will be out soon. If you have any issues or find any bugs, be sure to let us know on Discord!|
Speed Duel (format)
Speed Duel (スピードデュエル Supīdo Dyueru) is a beginner format that is used in the Yu-Gi-Oh! Official Card Game and Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game. It is easy to experience and recommended for players to remember the basics on how to play the game. This concept was first introduced in the "Duel Terminal" system under a different ruling system. It was later used as the main gameplay of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Saikyo Card Battle and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links. There is a format exclusive to the Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS anime, for a Duel taking place in the Data Storm in LINK VRAINS.
- Each player begins the Duel with 4000 LP.
- Each player begins the Duel with 4 cards in the starting hand.
- In the TCG, the Main Deck size is 20 to 30 cards. In the OCG, the Main Deck size is 20 cards.
- Extra Deck size is up to 5 cards.
- In the TCG only, each player has a Skill Card.
- Each player has 3 Main Monster Zones, 3 Spell & Trap Zones, and 1 Field Zone.
- In the TCG, there are no Extra Monster Zones. In the OCG, there are 2 Extra Monster Zones aligned in front of the leftmost and rightmost Main Monster Zones.
- There is no Main Phase 2.
- Like a normal Duel, the first player does not draw on their first turn, the hand size limit is 6, both players can have an active Field Spell Card and there can only be 3 cards with the same name in both the Main Deck and the Extra Deck.
In the TCG, only cards marked with the "Speed Duel" logo are legal in the Speed Duel format. Originally, the Speed Duel logo appeared only a transparent image in the background of the card's text box. Since the release of Speed Duel: Arena of Lost Souls, the words SPEED DUEL also appear in the space between the image and the text box (similar to Duel Terminal cards).
The following sets contain cards that can be used in Speed Duels:
- Speed Duel Demo Deck
- Speed Duel Starter Decks: Destiny Masters
- Speed Duel Starter Decks: Duelists of Tomorrow
- Speed Duel Starter Decks: Ultimate Predators
- Speed Duel: Arena of Lost Souls
- Speed Duel: Arena of Lost Souls Launch Event participation card
- Speed Duel: Attack from the Deep
- Speed Duel: Scars of Battle
- Speed Duel: Scars of Battle Launch Event participation card
- Speed Duel: Trials of the Kingdom
- Speed Duel: Trials of the Kingdom Sneak Peek participation cards
- Speed Duel Tournament Pack 1
- Speed Duel Tournament Pack 2
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Day April 2019 promotional card
- SJ Jump Pack Fall 2019 promotional card
- SJ Jump Pack Spring 2020 promotional card
|Japanese name||Primary type||Secondary type||Attribute||Type||Level/|
|Alligator's Sword||ワイバーンの||Normal Monster||EARTH||Beast||4||1500||1200||Unlimited|
|Alligator's Sword Dragon||ドラゴンに||Effect Monster|
|Ally of Justice Core Destroyer||Effect Monster||DARK||Machine||3||1200||200||Unlimited|
|Amazoness Chain Master||アマゾネスの||Effect Monster||EARTH||Warrior||4||1500||1300||Unlimited|
|Amazoness Sage||アマゾネスの||Effect Monster||EARTH||Warrior||4||1400||700||Unlimited|
|Amazoness Spy||アマゾネスの||Effect Monster||EARTH||Warrior||3||800||1200||Unlimited|
|Amazoness Swords Woman||アマゾネスの||Effect Monster||EARTH||Warrior||4||1500||1600||Unlimited|
|Amazoness Trainee||アマゾネス||Effect Monster||EARTH||Warrior||4||1500||1300||Unlimited|
|Ancient Brain||Normal Monster||DARK||Fiend||3||1000||700||Unlimited|
|... further results (191 more)|
|Japanese name||Card type||Property||Status|
|7 Completed||Spell Card||Equip Spell Card||Unlimited|
|Adhesion Trap Hole||Trap Card||Normal Trap Card||Unlimited|
|Amazoness Archers||アマゾネスの||Trap Card||Normal Trap Card||Unlimited|
|Amazoness Heirloom||アマゾネスの||Spell Card||Equip Spell Card||Unlimited|
|Amazoness Village||アマゾネスの||Spell Card||Field Spell Card||Unlimited|
|Amulet of Ambition||Spell Card||Equip Spell Card||Unlimited|
|Arcane Barrier||Spell Card||Continuous Spell Card||Unlimited|
|Assault on GHQ||Trap Card||Normal Trap Card||Unlimited|
|Bashing Shield||シールドバッシュ||Spell Card||Equip Spell Card||Unlimited|
|The Beginning of the End||Spell Card||Normal Spell Card||Unlimited|
|... further results (138 more)|
In the OCG, Speed Duel is a format that can be played with any OCG cards.
Two products were released specifically for this format:
Speed Duel in video games
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Saikyo Card Battle: The game uses the previous OCG Speed Duel rules (there are no Extra Monster Zones and each player has 2 Pendulum Zones).
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links: The game uses the same Speed Duel rules as the TCG, although the player can have up to six cards in their Extra Deck, after unlocking the sixth slot in-game.
Speed Duel in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Saikyo Card Battle
Speed Duel in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links
Speed Duel in Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS
- Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS episode 2: "Seize the Wind!"
- "Speed Dueling: A New Way to Play the Physical TCG". Konami. October 2, 2018. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Speed Duel" (PDF) (in Japanese). Konami. March 24, 2018. pp. 31–34. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "How to Speed Duel" (in Korean). Konami. Archived from the original on June 28, 2017. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "How to Speed Duel" (in Japanese). Konami. Archived from the original on December 24, 2016. Retrieved March 2, 2018.