Special Summon-only monster
Special Summon-only monsters, often referred to as Semi-Nomi monsters, are Special Summon Monsters that normally can only be Special Summoned from a non-public knowledge location by the method specified in their card text.
Special Summon-only monsters can be identified by the card text "Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned..." (or an older variant). Ritual, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, and Link Monsters that are Special Summon-only monsters do not include the text "Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set." because it is unnecessary; if they can be Ritual/Fusion/Synchro/Xyz/Link Summoned, they replace "Special Summoned" with "Ritual/Fusion/Synchro/Xyz/Link Summoned".
A Special Summon-only monster cannot be Special Summoned from a non-public knowledge location (the hand, Main Deck, or face-down Extra Deck), except by the specified method, unless the card effect ignores the Summoning conditions.
A Special Summon-only monster can be Special Summoned from a public knowledge location (the Graveyard, while banished, face-up Extra Deck, Spell & Trap Zone, or Pendulum Zone) by methods other than the specified one, as long as it was Special Summoned properly first. This contrasts to "Nomi" monsters, which can only be Summoned by the specified method, even after they have been properly Special Summoned.
If the Summon of a Special Summon Monster is negated (such as by "Black Horn of Heaven"), it is not considered to have been properly Special Summoned, even if the negated Summon was a Flip Summon after being properly Special Summoned. If a Special Summon Monster is in a public knowledge location and was not Special Summoned properly, it cannot be Special Summoned by any means other than the proper method, even by ignoring the Summoning conditions.
After a Special Summon Monster is properly Special Summoned, as long as that Monster Card remains in a public knowledge location (on the field even if face-down, in the Graveyard, banished, or face-up in the Extra Deck), it is considered properly Special Summoned.
- If "Dark Necrofear" is sent to the Graveyard, such as by being destroyed by "Raigeki Break", it can be Special Summoned from the Graveyard with a card like "Monster Reborn".
- If "Dark Necrofear" is banished, such as by "Dark Core", it can be Special Summoned while banished with a card like "Dimensional Inversion".
However, if it is moved to other locations, it cannot be Special Summoned except by the specified method.
- If "Dark Necrofear" is returned to the hand or Deck, such as by "Compulsory Evacuation Device" or "Phoenix Wing Wind Blast", it cannot be Special Summoned by any way other than the proper way (except by a card or effect that ignores its Summoning conditions, like "A Wild Monster Appears!").
List of Special Summon-only monsters
|Original||First erratum||Second erratum|
|Cannot be Normal Summoned
||Cannot be Normal SummonedSet. Must first be Special Summoned [...]|
Fusion Summon Fusion Monster
|be Summoned [...]|
Contact Fusion Fusion Monster
||This can only be Special Summoned [...]|
|Second erratum||Third erratum|
|be Special Summoned from your Extra Deck [...]|
- Taketa, Gregory (7 December 2009). "Special Summons – Spotting the Different Kinds". Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME STRATEGY SITE. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- Konami. Yu-Gi-Oh! Official Card Game - Perfect Rulebook 2015. p. 84.