OCG/TCG (Level Up Effect)
Each "LV" monster archetype/series includes at least one low-Level "base" monster that can be Normal/Summoned Set, and one or more high-Level forms that can be Special Summoned with the "Level Up" effect of the base monster. The "Level Up" effect always involves sending the monster on the field to the Graveyard to Special Summon its higher-Leveled counterpart (specified by name in its effect text) from the hand or Deck.
To ensure that the Level Up effects are actually being used, higher-Level LV monsters are typically either:
- Nomi monsters that cannot be Normal Summoned/Set, and must be Special Summoned by the effects of their lower-Level counterparts, or
- Only gain effects if they were Special Summoned by the effects of their lower-Level counterparts.
|Archetype/Series||Levels||Level Up Effect requirements||High-Level Summon conditions||High-Level Effect conditions|
|Ultimate Insect||LV1, LV3, LV5, LV7||In your Standby Phase, [Level Up].||-||Only gain effects if Summoned by predecessors.|
|Horus the Black Flame Dragon||LV4, LV6, LV8||In the End Phase, if this card destroyed a monster by battle this turn, [Level Up].||LV8: Nomi||-|
|Mystic Swordsman||LV2, LV4, LV6||In the End Phase, if this card destroyed a monster by battle this turn, [Level Up].||Cannot be Normal Summoned, but can be Normal Set.||-|
|Dark Mimic||LV1, LV3||In your Standby Phase, [Level Up].||-||Gains an improved effect if Summoned by predecessor.|
|Armed Dragon||LV3, LV5, LV7||LV3: In your Standby Phase, [Level Up].
LV5: In the End Phase, if this card destroyed a monster by battle this turn, [Level Up].
|Silent Magician||LV4, LV8||In your next Standby Phase after the 5th Spell Counter is placed on this card, [Level Up].||LV8: Nomi||-|
|Silent Swordsman||LV3, LV5, LV7||LV3: In your Standby Phase, [Level Up].
LV5: In your next Standby Phase after this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent by a direct attack, [Level Up].
|Allure Queen||LV3, LV5, LV7||In your Standby Phase, while this card has a card Equipped by its effect, [Level Up].||-||Only gain effects if Summoned by predecessors.|
|Dark Lucius||LV4, LV6, LV8||In your next Standby Phase after this card has destroyed a monster by battle, [Level Up].||-||Only gain effects if Summoned by predecessors.|
OCG/TCG (Non-Level Up Effect)
- Armed Dragon
- Armed Dragon Thunder
- Winged Kuriboh
- Masked Knight
- Silent Magician LV0
- Silent Swordsman LV0
- The 1 Tribute versions of "Horus the Black Flame Dragon", "Silent Swordsman", "Mystic Swordsman", "Masked Knight" and "Ultimate Insect" all have 2300 ATK.
- The "Dark Mimic" series is the only one without a Tribute Monster in its set. Additionally, "Mystic Swordsman" is the only series to have a final form that is a one-Tribute monster.
- "Silent Swordsman" used to be the rarest of the "LV" monsters; all three of its forms were only Ultra Rare and came from different sets. Its final form was only available as a Limited Edition Promo card. As of Legendary Collection 3: Yugi's World Mega Pack, this is no longer the case, as all three forms of "Silent Swordsman" are now available as Common. They and the "Silent Magician" monsters were also reprinted as a part of Yugi Muto's "Gadget" Deck in Yugi's Legendary Decks, making them all extremely easy to acquire. They were reprinted again along with new support in Duelist Pack: Rivals of the Pharaoh.