"Nomi" (のみ nomi, "only") is an informal category of Special Summon Monsters that can only be Summoned by a Special Summon that follows a specific method, and cannot be Summoned by any other method. They are indicated by the Summoning condition "Must be Special Summoned[Notes 1] by (method)".[Notes 2]
Nomi monsters are distinguished from Special Summon-only monsters in that they cannot be Special Summoned with other card effects outside of their summoning method, even after they have been properly Special Summoned.
- The name "Nomi" is named after the Japanese adverbial particle that means "only", which originates from one of the Japanese card texts for Nomi monsters' Summoning condition: 「◯◯でのみ特殊召喚できる」(XX de Nomi Tokushu Shōkan dekiru: Can only be Special Summoned by XX)
- "Nomi" Summoning conditions are also written as 「◯◯でしか特殊召喚できない」(XX de Shika Tokushu Shōkan dekinai: Cannot be Special Summoned except by XX) in Japanese.
- Or an equivalent Special Summoning mechanic (i.e.: Ritual/Fusion/Synchro/Xyz/Link Summon).
- Former card text:
- "Must be Special Summoned by (method), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways."
- "This card cannot be Special Summoned except by (method)"