|Japanese (base text)||
ATK (Attack Points)[Notes 2]
In a battle between two Attack Position monsters:
- If the ATK of the battling monsters are different: The controller of the monster with less ATK takes damage equal to the difference between ATK of the battling monsters, and the monster with lower ATK is destroyed.
- If the ATK of the battling monsters are the same: Both monsters are destroyed and neither player takes damage, except for when both battling monsters have 0 ATK.
When attacking a Defense Position monster:
- If the ATK and DEF are equal: No damage is inflicted, and no monster is destroyed.
- If the ATK is higher than DEF: The attacked monster is destroyed, but no battle damage is inflicted, unless the attacking monster inflicts piercing battle damage.
- If the ATK is lower than DEF: Neither monster is destroyed, but the attacking monster's controller takes damage equal to the difference between the ATK and DEF of the battling monsters.
If the opponent has no monsters on the field, damage is dealt to the opponent's Life Points equal to the total ATK value, if the attack is not blocked or disrupted. This is called a direct attack.
Currently the highest original attack outside the anime or manga is 5000 ATK. There are various methods to increase a monster's attack power and so it's debatable over what monster has the potential for the highest ATK possible.