May 10, 2017 — present
|No. of episodes||
Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS is the sixth Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series and the fifth main spin-off series, which began airing in Japan on May 10, 2017. It airs in Japan every Wednesday at 6:25 pm Japanese Standard Time instead of the usual Sundays as with the previous series does. This series airs alongside reruns of Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL as part of BS Japan's Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Hour block. It later airs alongside reruns of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds starting from November 2017.
As of June 1st, 2017, Crunchyroll began airing the show with legal subtitles. Future episodes will be simulcast.
The series stars Yusaku Fujiki as the main protagonist, and takes place in a high-school setting, featuring Virtual Reality Duels in a cyberspace constructed with LINK VRAINS, the latest in virtual-reality technology. As with the previous three spin-off series (5D's, ZEXAL, and ARC-V), VRAINS introduces and focuses on a new type of Summoning: Link Summoning.
The series is based in a world roughly 10 years from now where a massive Virtual Reality Network called LINK VRAINS has been established. It’s a suspense thriller style story where Yusaku fights in order to learn the truth of events in the past.
There is a city where network systems have evolved: Den City. In this city, with the advanced network technology developed by the corporation "SOL Technologies", a Virtual Reality space called "LINK VRAINS" (Link Virtual Reality Artificial Intelligence Network System) has been developed. By using LINK VRAINS which was built inside the Network System, Duels unfold where Duelists change their appearance separate from their real life identities, and in this VR Space people became excited over the latest way to Duel.
However, in "LINK VRAINS", a mysterious hacker group that hacks via Dueling has appeared: The Knights of Hanoi. Their goal is to destroy the "AI World" known as "Cyberse" that exists somewhere in the depths of the Network.
However, there is one Duelist who stands against the threat to "LINK VRAINS". His name is "Playmaker". He has become famous in the Network World for crushing the "Knights of Hanoi" in fierce Duels, without mentioning his name. But the true identity of "Playmaker" is ordinary high school student "Yusaku Fujiki", who pursues the "Knights of Hanoi" that appear in VRAINS in order to find out the truth of an incident that happened in his past.
The show's theme is "Take a step forward, and try!", on the premise that kids should start to try things out instead of just giving up at the first try due to being overwhelmed by information.
VRAINS is a combination of the acronyms VR, AI, and NS, standing for Virtual Reality, Artificial Intelligence, and Network System.
As of episode 14, Masahiro Hosoda, due to unknown reasons, stepped down as Director and was replaced by Asano Katsuya. It's to be noted that as of this episode, the backgrounds of LINK VRAINS and the Link Summoning methods were changed and added more detail, possibly due to the change. Even the point gauge for the Link Monsters included Link Markers.  Also another interesting thing is that since the same episode, the series is under supervision of Satou Tatsuo (best known as the director of the Martian Successor Nadesico series), who oversees Asano's direction of the series.
Japanese opening theme 1: With The Wind
- Performer: Hiroaki "Tommy" Tominaga
- Episodes: 001-???
Japanese ending theme 1: Believe In Magic
- Performer: Ryoga
- Episodes: 001-024
Japanese ending theme 2: Writing Life
- Performer: Goodbye Holiday
- Episodes: 025-???
- "The Organization | [VRAINS] Director Change". YGOrganization. August 16, 2017. https://ygorganization.com/vrains-director-change/. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- " The Organization | [VRAINS] Major Announcement of Details". YGOrganization. March 24, 2017. https://ygorganization.com/finallymydigimonandyugiohfanficisareality/. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "The Organization | [Weekly Jump] Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS Revealed!". YGOrganization. February 16, 2017. https://ygorganization.com/sohowisthisnotstandingout/. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- "The Organization | [Jump Festa 2017] Latest Information Stage: 6th Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime". YGOrganization. December 17, 2016. https://ygorganization.com/jump-festa-2017-latest-information-stage/. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "The Organization | [VRAINS] New Information from LABO (Week 3)". YGOrganization. April 19, 2017. https://ygorganization.com/icantpossiblyfigurethisoutcanyou/. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS episode 14: "Ghost Girl's Invitation"