The Japanese card text of the anime-exclusive "Hyper Coat" specifies Machine monsters with "Ｖ", "Ｗ", "Ｘ", "Ｙ" and/or "Ｚ" in their Japanese names, with the intention of supporting members of this series.
This series is related to the "Armed Dragon" archetype via "Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon" and the "Ojama" archetype via "Ojama Pajama" and "Ojamassimilation", a reference to Chazz having played the three alongside each other during Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.
The series can be broadly divided into three sub-series:
- "XYZ": The original series of monsters used by both Seto Kaiba and Chazz Princeton.
- "VW": The series of monsters used only by Chazz Princeton, alongside his "XYZ" cards.
- "ABC": A series of monsters introduced in Structure Deck: Seto Kaiba, thematically associated with Seto Kaiba.
|XYZ||X + Y + Z||XYZ-Dragon Cannon|
|X + Y||XY-Dragon Cannon|
|X + Z||XZ-Tank Cannon|
|Y + Z||YZ-Tank Dragon|
|VW||V + W||VW-Tiger Catapult|
|VW + XYZ||VWXYZ-Dragon Catapult Cannon|
|VWXYZ + Armed Dragon LV7||Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon|
|ABC||A + B + C||ABC-Dragon Buster|
|ABC + XYZ||A-to-Z-Dragon Buster Cannon|
The A-to-Z series revolves around using Union Monsters and performing Contact Fusions by banishing Fusion Materials from the field and/or Graveyard. A-to-Z monsters consist of Main Deck "component" Union monsters, and the Extra Deck "combined" Fusion Monsters who have the "component" monsters as their materials. The Deck's Fusion Monsters typically feature effects that involve discarding cards to remove the opponent's cards.
A-to-Z Decks can be broadly divided into two types: ABC-focused Decks, who do not use the VWXYZ monsters, and VWXYZ decks, who do. The divergence exists due to the lower power level of the VWXYZ monsters and the existence of support dedicated to them. However, both Decks share some central series-wide/generic key support cards:
- "Union Hangar", a Field Spell that searches a LIGHT Machine Union on activation, and can search another LIGHT Machine Union by equipping it from the Deck when a LIGHT Machine Union is summoned.
- "Union Carrier", a Link 2 equip-from-Deck searcher.
- "Unauthorized Reactivation", a Quick-Play Spell equip-from-Deck searcher.
- "Union Driver", a combo piece used alongside equip-from-Deck searchers to bypass their summon restriction; while equipped, it can banish itself to equip a different LIGHT Machine Union from the Deck, which can be Special Summoned.
- "Therion "King" Regulus", who can equip a Machine Union monster from the GY, thereby letting the Machine Union Special Summon itself, extending the player's plays while providing a negate.
- "Heavy Mech Support Armor", who summons a Union from GY when Normal Summoned.
- "Torque Tune Gear", a searchable Tuner for Synchro-based builds.
ABC-focused Decks focus on using the ABC monsters to Special Summon "ABC-Dragon Buster", and use its effects to disrupt the opponent and generate follow-up. The ABC monsters, aside from their shared Union effects, each have individual effects that (non-once per turn) generate advantage when they are sent from the field to the GY, and have shared effects to provide protection to the monsters they are equipped to.
|Monster||GY Trigger Effect||Equip Protection|
|A-Assault Core||Add 1 other Union monster from your GY to your hand.||Unaffected by your opponent's monster effects.|
|B-Buster Drake||Add 1 Union monster from your Deck to your hand.||Unaffected by your opponent's Spell effects.|
|C-Crush Wyvern||Special Summon 1 Union monster from your hand.||Unaffected by your opponent's Trap effects.|
By repeatedly searching with the effect of "B-Buster Drake", and swarming the field with "C-Crush Wyvern", then using these swarmed monsters for Link Summoning plays, the ABC Deck can quickly search out the necessary materials for "ABC-Dragon Buster", and Special Summon it by banishing its materials from the GY. "Dragon Buster" and the player's Link Monsters will serve as the player's end board, and "Dragon Buster" can further generate follow-up with its Quick Effect to summon 3 banished Machine monsters, setting up Link plays for the next turn.
VWXYZ Decks utilize the VWXYZ monsters as well as their support, typically in addition to the ABC monsters. The VWXYZ monsters are either Normal Monsters or Union monsters with minor combat-based equip effects, making them largely ineffective at holding the field and incapable of generating advantage. Additionally, VWXYZ Fusion Monsters require banishing cards the player controls to Special Summon them, making them far harder to summon compared to "ABC-Dragon Buster", who can banish its materials from GY.
Due to their inherent weaknesses, VWXYZ Decks depend on their dedicated support cards to make up their weakness, and ABC Decks typically do not play the VWXYZ cards to maximize consistency.
The key dedicated VWXYZ support card is "XYZ Combine", which can Special Summon 1 "X-Head Cannon", "Y-Dragon Head", or "Z-Metal Tank" from the Deck when a LIGHT Machine Union Monster Card is banished. It can also return a Fusion Monster to the Extra Deck to Summon back the player's banished XYZ pieces, making it far easier to put all three monsters on board.
Another dedicated VWXYZ support card is "XYZ Hyper Cannon", a disruption/card cycling Continuous Trap that is only usable if the player controls "XYZ-Dragon Cannon" or a Fusion Monster that lists "XYZ-Dragon Cannon" as material.
Official A-to-Z Deck
- They are said to be rare cards in the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime, as they are among the cards stolen by Vellian Crowler.
- Despite being called A-to-Z, this series lacks D-to-U monsters.
- However, the Japanese name of the anime-only card "Dimensional Catapult" contains the letters "STU" (short for "Super Thunder Unit"), the three letters before "VWXYZ".
- YGOrganization SDMY & SDKS Deck Recipes