|Help support Yugipedia by using our Chrome extension, which redirects links to the old Wikia/Fandom site to Yugipedia, ensuring you see the most up-to-date information. Firefox users don't worry—a similar Firefox add-on will be out soon. If you have any issues or find any bugs, be sure to let us know on Discord!|
"Amazoness" (アマゾネス Amazonesu) is an archetype of female EARTH monsters that were introduced in Labyrinth of Nightmare. All members of this archetype are Warrior monsters, except for the Beast "Amazoness Baby Tiger", "Amazoness Pet Liger" and "Amazoness Tiger".
Some members of this archetype appear as character in video-games:
- "Amazoness Paladin" appears as a character in World Championship 2008, in World Championship 2009, and in the Duel Monsters Spirit World;
- Both "Chain Master" and "Tiger" appears in World Championship 2008;
- Both "Queen" and "Trainee" appears in World Championship 2011;
- "Blowpiper" appears in the Duel Monsters Spirit World.
- When the "Amazoness" cards are played in the English dubbed anime, they are re-drawn to be less revealing in appearance. While in TCG until recently, most of them weren't censored, unlike similar female monsters such as "Harpies".
The "Amazoness" monsters have average ATK and effects, and are designed either to weaken the opponent's monsters or strengthen themselves. Key cards include "Amazoness Village", "Amazoness Paladin", "Tiger", and "Amazoness Queen".
With the additions to the "Amazoness" archetype in Duelist Revolution, they have more support for field-flooding and field control. Using "Village", "Amazoness Willpower", and "Queen's Pawn" allows them to swarm the field much faster and more easily. "Queen", "Amazoness Heirloom", and "Amazoness Scouts" can help keep your "Amazoness" on the field while you increase their ATK with "Village" and "Amazoness Fighting Spirit".
While their ATK is often weak for their Level, cards such as "Tiger" and "Paladin" increase in strength relative to the number of other "Amazoness" on the field. "Amazoness Trainee" increases in strength for every monster she destroys. "Queen" protects all "Amazoness" monsters from destruction in battle, while "Amazoness Sage" can destroy one Spell or Trap Card at the end of each attack; with these two cards alone, a player can defend his or her monsters, while slowly dismantling an opponent's back row.
"Amazoness Empress" and "Pet Liger" act as the boss monsters of the archetype, with "Empress" preventing destruction by battle or card effect and giving "Amazoness" monsters piercing damage while "Pet Liger" grants ATK reduction abilities to "Amazoness" monsters. "Amazoness Princess" acts as a searcher for the archetype, allowing quick access to the archetypes Spells and Traps upon its summon and allows for the summon of "Amazoness" monsters upon attacking. "Baby Tiger" allows for easy swarming, allowing it to be summoned from the hand or graveyard upon the summon of another "Amazoness" monster. Both "Princess" and "Baby Tiger" also count as "Queen" and "Tiger", respectively, whilst on the field or graveyard, allowing the Fusion monsters to be summoned easier. "Amazoness Call" acts as the deck's main searcher, allowing for the searching of any "Amazoness" card in the deck. It also allows one "Amazoness" monster to attack every opposing monsters if it is banished from the graveyard. "Amazoness Onslaught" allows for the removal of opponents monsters via banishing, as well as swarming via a special summon once per Battle Phase and another upon its destruction.
Common build strategies for this archetype include:
- Synchro Build: Warrior Tuners such as "T.G. Striker" and "X-Saber Pashuul" can be employed to summon numerous Synchro Monsters. "Rose, Warrior of Revenge" is also one of the most recommended Tuners, since she's a Level 4 Tuner that can be used in conjunction with most Level 4 "Amazoness" to Synchro Summon "Colossal Fighter" (for beating down most monsters) and "Crimson Blader" (for locking down opponent's high-Level Summons). All "Amazoness" monsters are also EARTH, means that they can also be used for Synchro Summoning "Naturia" Synchro Monsters, such as "Naturia Beast", "Naturia Barkion", and "Naturia Landoise" for Spell, Trap, and Effect Monster negation respectively (provided that they also use an EARTH Tuner).
- Xyz Build: Most Amazoness monsters are Level 4, and is perfect for setting up Xyz Summons. Using "Goblindbergh", "Photon Thrasher", "Kagetokage" and "Heroic Challenger - Double Lance" can speeding up the process of Xyz Summoning Rank 4 monsters.
- Anti-Meta: Most "Amazoness" monsters do not rely on external sources like Graveyard manipulation, Deck searching, Special Summoning and so on, means that they can also be used as Anti-Meta strategy utilizing Anti-Meta cards like "Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer", "Imperial Iron Wall", "Macro Cosmos", "Vanity's Emptiness", "Thunder King Rai-Oh" or even more obscure choices like "Grave of the Super Ancient Organism" or "Summon Limit". "Redox, Dragon Ruler of Boulders" can also give this deck more resiliency, while also opening access into Rank 7 Xyz Summon.
Massive field control comes at a cost. Most of Amazoness decks will always have trouble when fighting Decks with a strong focus of nullifying Spell and Trap Cards (Since many of their Spell/Traps are key points for their survivability, especially "Village").
Amazoness decks are also weak against decks that can either: outspeed them completely, like "Mermails" and "Six Samurais", or decks that have more control and advantage-grinding quality, such as "Prophecy", "Gadgets", or even "Dark World" decks.
"Skill Drain" can be problematic to any "Amazoness" decks, due to most of their monsters are either have Continuous Effects or effects that can only be useful while battling.