This article may require cleanup to meet this wiki's standards.
"Blackwing", known as "Black Feather" (
Most "Blackwing" monsters generally have a very bird-like appearance, with most Level 3 and lower members appearing as small birds while the Level 4 and higher monsters appearing to be either humanoids in bird-like outfits or humanoid birds. They also have a prominent black color-scheme in their design, usually on their wing feathering.
In the anime, the "Blackwing" monsters are named after geographical elements usually related to the natural phenomena, winds and birds.
|Abrolhos the Megaquake||Abrolhos squall|
|Aurora the Northern Lights||Aurora|
|Blizzard the Far North||Blizzard|
|Bora the Spear||Bora|
|Boreas the Sharp||Boreas, god of the north wind|
|Breeze the Zephyr||Zephyr, the gentle breeze|
|Brisote the Tailwind||Brisote & Tailwind|
|Calima the Haze||Haze|
|Elphin the Raven||Raven|
|Etesian of Two Swords||Etesian|
|Fane the Steel Chain||Foehn wind|
|Gale the Whirlwind||Gale & Whirlwind|
|Ghibli the Searing Wind||Ghibli (sirocco in Libyan Arabic)|
|Gust the Backblast||Wind gust|
|Harmattan the Dust||Harmattan & Dust storm|
|Hillen the Tengu-wind||Tengu|
|Hurricane the Tornado||Hurricane|
|Jetstream the Blue Sky||Jet stream|
|Jin the Rain Shadow||Jinn|
|Kalut the Moon Shadow||Moonlight|
|Kochi the Daybreak||Eastern wind|
|Kogarashi the Wanderer||Cold winter wind|
|Mistral the Silver Shield||Mistral|
|Oroshi the Squall||Oroshi & Squall|
|Shura the Blue Flame||Blue flame|
|Sirocco the Dawn||Sirocco|
|Steam the Cloak||Steam|
|Tornado the Reverse Wind||Tornado|
|Vayu the Emblem of Honor||Vayu|
|Zephyros the Elite||Zephyrus, god of the west wind|
|Chidori the Rain Sprinkling||Chidori & Rain|
|Kunai the Drizzle||Kunai & Drizzle|
|Kunifusa the White Rainbow||Fog bow|
|Kunisada the White Rainbow|
|Kuniyoshi the White Rainbow|
|Kusanagi the Gathering Storm||Kusanagi & Cumulus cloud|
|Onimaru the Divine Thunder||Onimaru Kunitsuna & Thunderbolt|
|Raikiri the Rain Shower||Raikiri & Precipitation|
|Sayo the Rain Hider||Sayo Samonji|
|Sohaya the Rain Storm||Sohaya no Tsurugi & Storm|
In the manga, the Blackwing monsters are named after weapons of mythological origins and natural sky-related phenomena.
|Damascus the Polar Night||Damascus steel||Polar night|
|Gladius the Midnight Sun||Gladius||Midnight sun|
|Jul the New Moon||Katar||New moon|
|Kris the Crack of Dawn||Kris||Dawn|
|Pinaki the Waxing Moon||Pinaka||Waxing moon|
|Sharnga the Waning Moon||Sharnga||Waning moon|
|Gram the Shining Star||Gram||Star|
|Nothung the Starlight||Nothung||Starlight|
Card game original
|Auster the South Wind||Auster, god of the south wind|
|Boreas the Evil Wind||Boreas|
|Chinook the Snowstrike||Chinook wind|
|Shamal the Sandstorm||Shamal|
|Simoon the Poison Wind||Simoom|
|Suthri the Illusory Spark||Suðri|
|Vata the Knave||Sanskrit word for "Wind"|
|Zonda the Timely Night||Zonda wind|
The "Blackwing" archetype is focused on swarming monsters for Synchro Summoning, with a number of secondary focuses including hand trap-like effects, counter usage, ATK modulation, interactions with "Black-Winged Dragon", inflicting burn damage in multiples of 700, and non-standard methods of Special Summoning Synchro Monsters (e.g. the "GY Synchro" effect of "Vayu", which historically formed a deck known as "Vayu Turbo" or "Vayusworn" when paired up with self-milling cards like "Card Trooper" or "Lightsworn" monsters to turbo out its effect). Historical "Blackwing" Decks were played as control Decks focusing on using the archetype's excellent Normal Summons, backed up with the potential for swarming and combo plays. Later "Blackwing" Decks evolved into swarming-based combo Decks revolving around the searching power of "Black Whirlwind".
"Blackwing" has a strong emphasis on swarming monsters from the hand. Most monsters have the ability to Special Summon themselves from the hand; others carry special effects that utilize the Graveyard and hand to advance the gamestate.
Since all of the "Blackwing" monsters rely on the hand for swarming, "Black Whirlwind" allows them to replenish their resources while giving them the ability to toolbox into certain combo pieces. And when enough "Blackwing" cards have swarmed the field, support cards like "Delta Crow - Anti Reverse" and "Black Sonic" are granted additional effects that allow them to be activated from the hand.
As a primarily DARK and Winged Beast Deck, the Deck benefits from their related Typing and Attribute support. Because most "Blackwing" cards do not impose any significant summoning restrictions, the Deck can use its swarming potential to pivot into a variety of non-"Blackwing" combos. In particular, "Raidraptor - Wise Strix" opens up a wide variety of combos involving Xyz Monsters, "Rank-Up-Magic", and even "The Phantom Knights of Rusty Bardiche", all the while operating under the DARK Extra Deck lock of combo starter "Simoon the Poison Wind".
DARK + Blackwing" Deck Recipe
- Aside from "Blackwing Full Armor Master", the archetype has a general lack of in-archetype boss monsters or easily searchable disruptions with field holding powers, and so often has to rely on the Xyz boss monsters and searchable disruptions provided by "Wise Strix" and "Rusty Bardiche" combos.
- The search effect from "Black Whirlwind" is affected by effects that reduce ATK, such as "Burden of the Mighty" or "Solidarity", and the Deck's combos can be potentially disrupted by such effects.
- Most "Blackwing" swarming effects require at least 1 "Blackwing" on the field as a precondition, so destroying the first summon of a "Blackwing" monster can potentially stop the Deck's combos.
- "Blackwing" cards provide limited recovery options, making it difficult for the Deck to comeback should it be hit with an equalizer like "Torrential Tribute".
- Due to the importance of searching for the Deck's combos, anti-search cards like "Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring", "Thunder King Rai-Oh", and "Droll & Lock Bird" can cripple the Deck's combos.
- As a swarming-based Deck, the Deck is weak to "Nibiru, the Primal Being".
- As a DARK Deck, the Deck is countered by anti-DARK cards like "Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror".
- Since the Deck has some need for the GY to make plays, anti-GY cards like "Dimensional Fissure" can significantly disrupt the Deck's combos.