"Hazy Flame", known as "Haze Beast" (
"Hazy Flame" monsters resemble fiery versions of various mythical creatures.
|Hazy Flame||Mythical creature||Mythology|
|Basiltrice||Basilisk / Cockatrice||Bestiary|
|Mantikor||Manticore / Myrmecoleon||Persian / Bestiary|
A standard "Hazy Flame" Deck mainly focuses on setting up Xyz Summons and has a relatively broad variety of effects that range from searching ("Hazy Flame Cerbereus") to swarming ("Hazy Flame Peryton"); the main goal is to set up the Xyz Summon of their ace monster, "Hazy Flame Basiltrice". It gains additional effects depending on the number of Xyz Materials attached to it, and can be Xyz Summoned with the aid of cards like "Hazy Flame Hydra" and "Hazy Pillar", and if successfully Summoned using 5 Level 6 FIRE monsters, it reaches a hefty 3500 ATK and cannot be targeted by the opponent's effects or be destroyed by any effect. This makes it difficult to overcome in battle, and the only card effects that can eliminate it are situational or archetype-restricted ones that do not target or destroy it: examples include "Black Sonic", "Neo-Spacian Grand Mole", "Stellarknight Triverr", "Lava Golem", "Super Polymerization", "Gishki Zielgigas", "Orea, the Sylvan High Arbiter" etc. However, it can still be destroyed by battle.
The advent of Pendulum Summoning may help them to swarm the field quickly (except for "Hazy Flame Peryton", which has a Special Summon restriction), allowing the player to Summon up to 5 "Hazy Flame" monsters at once and have quick access to Xyz Summons.
Some other cards that can help a "Hazy Flame" Deck include:
- "Fire King": monsters like "Fire King Avatar Yaksha" and "Fire King High Avatar Garunix" can help set off the effect of "Cerberus" to search for a "Hazy Pillar" or another "Hazy Flame" monster while also destroying the opponent's monsters at the same time giving the player a field advantage over their opponent.
- "Rekindling": allows the player to Special Summon "Hazy Flame Cerbereus", "Hyppogrif", and "Hydra" swarming the field with high-ATK monsters or Xyz Summoning "Basiltrice" with 4 Xyz Materials attached to it.
- "Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit": can Special Summon itself and then Tribute itself in order to Normal Summon a "Hazy Flame" monster; uses its effect to Special Summon "Tyhone #2". With this, it is already possible to Xyz Summon "Basiltrice", but if the player Tribute Summon "Hazy Flame Peryton", they can use its effect to Special Summon 2 "Hazy Flame Hydras" from the Deck and attach 2 more "Hazy Flame" destroyed monsters as Xyz Materials to it.
- "Card Advance": use it in order to be aware of the top cards of the Deck and use the effect of "Hazy Flame Sphynx" at its best; it also gives an additional Tribute Summon.
- "Flamvell Firedog": it can be used to Special Summon "Hazy Flame Cerbereus" from the Deck, which will keep its solid 2000 ATK intact.
- "Onslaught of the Fire Kings": can also be used to Special Summon "Cerbereus" while allowing to use its searching effect during the End Phase.
- "Fairy Knight Ingunar": can bounce every other card on the field to the hand and can refuel its effect by using "Hazy Pillar".
- "Stoic Challenge": if the player equips a 5-Xyz Materials "Basiltrice" with this card, it will gain a massive 3000 ATK boost, double the battle damage dealt to an opponent's monster and will not be destroyed during the opponent's End Phase.
Due to the variety of abilities, immunity against targeting effects and the fact that the main objective is to Xyz Summon Rank 6 monsters, virtually there is not a wide range of options of cards that can totally shut a "Hazy Flame" Deck down. However, cards that forbid or restrict Special Summons, such as "Vanity's Emptiness", "El Shaddoll Winda" etc., can prevent them from swarming the field. Effects that restrict based on Level or Attribute, such as "Tualatin" and "Stygian Dirge", can also mean trouble to a dedicated "Hazy Flame" Deck. If a player Xyz Summons "Basiltrice" with 3 or less Xyz Materials, it is also vulnerable to "Xyz Encore", "Compulsory Evacuation Device", etc.; as their strategy of swarming the field in order to Summon their ace monster is resource-intensive (i.e. "Peryton" must send itself and another FIRE monster to the Graveyard to Special Summon 2 monsters; "Sphynx" mills the top card of the Deck), losing "Basilitrice" to a card effect or having its Summon negated is a heavy punishment in terms of card advantage. negating the Xyz Summon also works. Finally, getting "Hazy Pillar" or "Hazy Glory" destroyed prematurely (especially by the splashable "Mystical Space Typhoon") can severely slow the player down.