"Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon" appears as a character in World Championship 2006 and in World Championship 2007, "Toon Dark Magician Girl" appears in World Championship 2007, and "Toon Gemini Elf" appears in World Championship 2009.
In the original manga and anime series, Toon monsters are simply the original monsters after being transformed by "Toon World". After they appeared as separate cards in the OCG, Toon monsters appeared as separate cards in the anime as well.
The main strategy of a "Toon" Deck is direct attacks on your opponent. For some Toon monsters, "Toon World" is required for them to be able to attack the opponent directly while they control monsters. "Toon Table of Contents" can aid you in adding "Toon" cards to your hand.
As several Toon monsters can be Special Summoned from the hand by their own effect, while you control "Toon World", it's possible to Summon multiple Toon monsters in one turn. Although Level 5 or higher Toon monsters require Tributes for their Special Summon, as the Tributes are not Tributes for a Tribute Summon, you can Tribute Monster Tokens generated from cards like "Scapegoat" and "Fires of Doomsday".
Since a lot of the Toon monsters can be Special Summoned when "Toon World" is on your field you can create a big swarm of monsters for a fast Xyz Summon or Summon a Tuner monster for a fast Synchro Summon.
"Toon Gemini Elf" and "Toon Masked Sorcerer" can maintain hand control, because they can attack directly while you control "Toon World", at which time their effects will trigger ("Toon Gemini Elf" forces your opponent to discard a random card from their hand, while "Toon Masked Sorcerer" allows you to draw a card).
- The ability to always attack directly unless facing another Toon deck allows the player to inflict large amounts of damage and avoid hard to deal with opposing monsters.
- Using "Phantom Skyblaster" can generate Skyblaster Tokens, which are useful as Tributes for Level 5 and above Toons. "Phantom Skyblaster" also provides further damage with its effect in combination with "Toon Cannon Soldier's" effect, while giving you access to "Number 66: Master Key Beetle" to further protect your "Toon World".
- Toon decks can access strong Xyz Monsters with powerful negation effects including:
- "Toadally Awesome" can be Summoned by "Bahamut Shark" who itself is Summoned using 2 Level 4 WATER monsters, like "Toon Mermaid" or "Toon Alligator".
- "Cyber Dragon Infinity" can be summoned using two copies of "Toon Cyber Dragon" to Summon "Cyber Dragon Nova" and then Special Summon "Infinity" by using "Nova" as material.
- "Number 38: Hope Harbinger Dragon Titanic Galaxy" by using two Level 8 monsters.
- "Comic Hand" uses your opponent's monsters against them, which can make up for the lack of removal Toon cards have.
- "Red-Eyes Toon Dragon", "Toon Dark Magician", and "Toon Mask" are very useful that they can swarm Toon monsters ignoring their Summoning conditions. Making the Toons more easily to be Summoned.
- "Comic Hand" can also help here as it as turns your opponents monsters into Toons.
- If "Toon World" would be destroyed, "Emergency Provisions" can be chained to send it to the graveyard, preventing it from being destroyed.
- "Starlight Road" is very useful against mass destruction cards that pose a threat against "Toon World".
- Toon monsters are very reliant on "Toon World" and most of them are destroyed when "Toon World" is destroyed.
- Most of the Toon monsters are high-Leveled monsters, so they can easily be dead draws if there aren't enough monsters available to Tribute. To avert this, "Toon Mask", "Toon Dark Magician", "Red-Eyes Toon Dragon" can be used to Special Summon them, or they can be used as a cost for "Trade-In" or "Sacred Sword of Seven Stars".