Starlight Rare cards have the same horizontal holographic foil pattern as a Prismatic Secret Rare, but applied to the whole card rather than only the artwork. The only areas of the card to which the foil is not applied are the card text box, empty Link Arrows, and portions of the artwork. Starlight Rares resemble the 20th Secret Rare and OCG Prismatic Secret Rare rarities.
The existence of this rarity was not mentioned until after the physical release of its debut set, Rising Rampage (which was released on July 25, 2019). It has since appeared in every Core Booster since, where it appears as an alternative rarity for several cards that are also available in a standard rarity in that set.
From Rising Rampage (July 25, 2019) to Ignition Assault (January 30, 2020), in main series Booster Packs there are four Starlight Rare cards per set. The cards are selected so that there is one of each original rarity: Rare, Super Rare, Ultra Rare, and Secret Rare. From Eternity Code (April 30, 2020) onward, a fifth Starlight Rare is present, being a reprint that does not otherwise appear in the set.
Additionally, in the TCG the special Astral language "Number 39: Utopia" printed in Battles of Legend: Armageddon (July 23, 2020) is exclusively printed as a Starlight Rare, in place of the Prismatic Secret Rare foil used by the Japanese version from Collection Pack 2020 (the set's OCG counterpart).
This rarity initially did not have an official name, only being described as an "alternate foil" in official sources. In January 2020, at a German Konami community day event, official representatives stated to community members that the rarity is called Starlight Rare. In May 2021, the term "Starlight Rare" was used by the official Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game Twitter to describe this rarity. The name is now used on the official Card Database, and the page "New to Yu-Gi-Oh!" on the official Yu-Gi-Oh! website includes Starlight Rares in its description of the key rarities in booster packs (which was updated during the March 2022 restructure of the official website).
On the Official Card Database, cards of this rarity released from their debut in Rising Rampage (July 25, 2019) until Lightning Overdrive (June 3, 2021) are labelled as Prismatic Secret Rare; starting in Dawn of Majesty (August 13, 2021), Starlight Rares are labelled as such on the Official Card Database.
List of Starlight Rare cards
- McHale, Jerome (October 18, 2019). "Powering Up with Chaos Impact!".
So one great way to show whether or not your "Pyro Phoenix" has been reincarnated, is by using this lovely alternate foil version of it, as the reincarnated one.
- ReneBrain (20 January 2020). "@renebrain_". Twitter. Retrieved 10 April 2020.
For everyone: The so called "Prismatic Secret Rare" got its official name: Starlight Rare … Information from the CommunityDay in Germany directly from KONAMI Germany.
- Dan (20 January 2020). "[TCG] Major Changes For TCG Products". The Organization. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG [@YuGiOh_TCG] (28 May 2021). "Get a sneak peek of the latest core booster set at the Lightning Overdrive Premiere! Pre-release Event! You can have your chance at getting a Starlight Rare Black Rose Dragon! Contact your local OTS to see if they are participating. bit.ly/3uDSgGv" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Shooting Majestic Star Dragon. Retrieved 16 May 2022.
- "New to Yu-Gi-Oh!". Yu-Gi-Oh! | Official Website. Konami. Retrieved 16 May 2022.
Starlight Rare cards feature a rainbow-colored foil on the card name, and a bright, rainbow-colored foiling across the art and all borders, and other parts of the card.
- "NEW TO YU-GI-OH!". Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME. Konami. Archived from the original on 1 November 2021.
- Marincess Sea Horse. Retrieved 10 April 2020.
- Black Rose Dragon. Retrieved 16 May 2022.