Starlight Rare cards have the same horizontal holographic foil pattern as a Prismatic Secret Rare, but applied to the whole card rather than only the artwork. The only areas of the card to which the foil is not applied are the card text box, empty Link Arrows, and portions of the artwork. Starlight Rares resemble the 20th Secret Rare and OCG Prismatic Secret Rare rarities.
The existence of this rarity was not mentioned until after the physical release of its debut set, Rising Rampage. It has appeared in three main series Booster Packs, where it appears as an alternative rarity for several cards that are also available in a standard rarity in that set.
From Rising Rampage to Ignition Assault, in main series Booster Packs there are four Starlight Rare cards per set. The cards are selected so that there is one of each original rarity: Rare, Super Rare, Ultra Rare, and Secret Rare. From Eternity Code onward, a fifth Starlight Rare is present, being a reprint that does not otherwise appear in the set.
Additionally, in the TCG the special Astral language "Number 39: Utopia" printed in Battles of Legend: Armageddon is exclusively printed as a Starlight Rare, in place of the Prismatic Secret Rare foil used by the Japanese version from Collection Pack 2020.
This rarity initially did not have an official name, only being described as an "alternate foil" in official sources. On the Official Card Database, cards of this rarity are labelled as Prismatic Secret Rare, although it has been officially confirmed not to be Prismatic Secret Rare. In January 2020, at a German Konami community day event, official representatives stated to community members that the rarity is called Starlight Rare.
List of Starlight Rare cards
- RIRA-EN003 "Marincess Sea Horse" (originally Ultra Rare)
- RIRA-EN046 "Wynn the Wind Charmer, Verdant" (originally Rare)
- RIRA-EN048 "Apollousa, Bow of the Goddess" (originally Secret Rare)
- RIRA-EN077 "Storm Dragon's Return" (originally Super Rare)
- CHIM-EN008 "Unchained Twins - Aruha" (originally Rare)
- CHIM-EN039 "Salamangreat Pyro Phoenix" (originally Secret Rare)
- CHIM-EN048 "Gorgon, Empress of the Evil Eyed" (originally Super Rare)
- CHIM-EN049 "I:P Masquerena" (originally Ultra Rare)
- IGAS-EN020 "Sky Striker Ace - Roze" (originally Ultra Rare)
- IGAS-EN048 "Aussa the Earth Charmer, Immovable" (originally Rare)
- IGAS-EN067 "Lightning Storm" (originally Secret Rare)
- IGAS-EN094 "Time Thief Perpetua" (originally Super Rare)
- ETCO-EN026 "Chamber Dragonmaid" (originally Secret Rare)
- ETCO-EN036 "Ghost Mourner & Moonlit Chill" (originally Secret Rare)
- ETCO-EN045 "Traptrix Allomerus" (originally Ultra Rare)
- ETCO-EN055 "Eria the Water Charmer, Gentle" (originally Super Rare)
- ETCO-EN100 "Effect Veiler"
- BLAR-EN000 "Number 39: Utopia" (written in Astral glyphs)
- ROTD-EN005 "Dogmatika Ecclesia, the Virtuous" (originally Ultra Rare)
- ROTD-EN037 "Gaia the Magical Knight of Dragons" (originally Super Rare)
- ROTD-EN062 "Triple Tactics Talent" (originally Secret Rare)
- ROTD-EN086 "Wynn the Wind Channeler" (originally Ultra Rare)
- ROTD-EN100 "D.D. Crow"
- PHRA-EN003 "The Phantom Knights of Torn Scales" (originally Secret Rare)
- PHRA-EN023 "Alpha, the Master of Beasts" (originally Secret Rare)
- PHRA-EN045 "Divine Arsenal AA-ZEUS - Sky Thunder" (originally Secret Rare)
- PHRA-EN046 "Tri-Brigade Ferrijit the Barren Blossom" (originally Ultra Rare)
- PHRA-EN100 "Hiita the Fire Charmer, Ablaze"
- McHale, Jerome (October 18, 2019). "Powering Up with Chaos Impact!".
So one great way to show whether or not your "Pyro Phoenix" has been reincarnated, is by using this lovely alternate foil version of it, as the reincarnated one.
- Marincess Sea Horse. Retrieved 10 April 2020.
- ReneBrain (20 January 2020). "@renebrain_". Twitter. Retrieved 10 April 2020.
For everyone: The so called "Prismatic Secret Rare" got its official name: Starlight Rare … Information from the CommunityDay in Germany directly from KONAMI Germany.
- Dan (20 January 2020). "[TCG] Major Changes For TCG Products". The Organization. Retrieved 24 January 2020.