Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 113
|English||Merger of The Big Five, Part 3|
|Japanese OP||"WILD DRIVE"|
|English OP & ED||"Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 2 Theme"|
|Japanese||July 2, 2002|
|English||January 31, 2004|
|Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes (season 3)|
|Previous||"Merger of the Big Five, Part 2"|
|Next||"Brothers in Arms, Part 1"|
"Merger of The Big Five, Part 3", known as "Defeat It! Five God Dragon" in the Japanese version, is the one hundred and thirteenth episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. It first aired in Japan on July 2, 2002 and in the United States on January 31, 2004.
- In the Duel, Leichter Summons "Five-Headed Dragon", but Yami Yugi and Joey win with the help of their Deck Masters.
- After losing, The Big Five try to steal everyone's bodies by force, but Noah interrupts and takes the Five to his headquarters. Due to their repeated failures and rule-breaking, Noah imprisons each of them in an isolated part of his Virtual World; in the Japanese version, he simply deletes them. In both cases, the Five are never seen again.
- Tristan is left devastated, fearing he will never get his body back.
- Yami Yugi: "Dark Magician", "Dark Flare Knight", "Mirage Knight" and "Dark Magician Knight"
- Joey Wheeler: "Flame Swordsman"
- The Big Five: "Deepsea Warrior", "Nightmare Penguin", "Judge Man", "Robotic Knight", "Jinzo", "Five-Headed Dragon" and "Berserk Dragon"
Featured Duel: Yami Yugi + Joey Wheeler VS. The Big Five, Part 3
Joey has 300 Life Points remaining, and controls "Jinzo" (2400/1500) in Attack Position.
The Big Five have 1200 Life Points remaining, with Leichter in control of Tristan's body, and control "Altar of Mist".
Turn 19: The Big Five (Leichter)
On Leichter's Standby Phase, the effect of "Altar of Mist" activates, letting Leichter add "Dragon Revival Ritual" from his Deck to his hand by sending "Altar of Mist" to the Graveyard. Leichter's hand contains "Five-Headed Dragon", "Dragon Revival Ritual", and "A Deal with Dark Ruler". Leichter then activates "Dragon Revival Ritual" to Tribute all of the Big Five's Deck Masters and Ritual Summon "Five-Headed Dragon" (5000/5000) in Attack Position and make it the Big Five's new Deck Master. Since "Five-Headed Dragon" was Ritual Summoned, its first effect activates, destroying all cards on Yami Yugi and Joey's side of the field. Leichter explains that due to the last two effects of "Five-Headed Dragon", it can't attack on the turn it's Ritual Summoned and it cannot be destroyed in battle by any monsters except LIGHT monsters. Leichter then Sets a card.
Turn 21: Yami Yugi
Yami Yugi draws "Magical Hats". He then moves his Deck Master, "Dark Magician", to the field in Attack Position (2500/2100). Yami Yugi then activates "Polymerization" to fuse "Dark Magician" with "Flame Swordsman" and Fusion Summon "Dark Flare Knight" (2200/800) in Attack Position and make it Yami Yugi and Joey's new Deck Master.
"Dark Flare Knight" attacks "Five-Headed Dragon". "Five-Headed Dragon" destroys "Dark Flare Knight", but due to the latter's first effect, all battle damage that Yami Yugi would have taken is nullified. Since "Dark Flare Knight" was destroyed in battle and sent to the Graveyard, its second effect activates, allowing Yami Yugi and Joey to Special Summon "Mirage Knight" (2800/2000) in Attack Position and make it the new Deck Master for both Yami Yugi and Joey.
"Mirage Knight" attacks "Five-Headed Dragon". Due to the effect of "Mirage Knight", it gains ATK equal to that of the opposing monster ("Mirage Knight": 2800 → 7800/2000) during damage calculation only. "Mirage Knight" destroys "Five-Headed Dragon". Since a Level 8 or above monster was destroyed in battle, Leichter activates his face-down "A Deal with Dark Ruler" to pay half his Life Points (The Big Five 1200 → 600) and negate the battle damage he would take as well as Special Summon "Berserk Dragon" (3500/0) in Attack Position. "Berserk Dragon" then becomes Leichter's new Deck Master. After damage calculation, the effect of "Mirage Knight" expires ("Mirage Knight": 7800 → 2800/2000).
At the end of the Battle Phase, the last effect of "Mirage Knight" activates, removing itself from play and Special Summoning "Flame Swordsman" (800/1600) and "Dark Magician" (2500/2100) from Yami Yugi and Joey's Graveyard in Attack Position while the two Summoned monsters become Joey and Yami Yugi's Deck Masters again.
Yami Yugi then activates "Magical Hats" to hide "Dark Magician" within one of four hats. He then activates the Deck Master Ability of "Dark Magician" to pay 1000 Life Points (Yugi 2000 → 1000) and copy the effect of "Magical Hats", allowing Yami Yugi to hide Joey's "Flame Swordsman" within one of four hats.
Turn 22: The Big Five (Leichter)
Leichter draws "Spring of Rebirth". "Berserk Dragon" attacks every "Hat" on Yami Yugi's side of the field via its own effect, and the three empty hats are destroyed. "Berserk Dragon" then attacks the hat that "Dark Magician" is under, but Joey orders "Flame Swordsman" to intercept the attack. Joey then activates his face-down "Silver Dollar" to prevent "Flame Swordsman" from being destroyed and nullify the battle damage he would take. At the End Phase, "Berserk Dragon" loses 500 ATK due to its second effect ("Berserk Dragon": 3500 → 3000/0).
Turn 23: Joey Wheeler
Joey draws. He then activates his face-down "Knight's Title" to Tribute "Dark Magician", Special Summon "Dark Magician Knight" (2500/2100) in Attack Position and, make it Yami Yugi's new Deck Master. Joey then activates "Flame Swordsman's" Deck Master's ability to decrease its ATK by 700 ("Flame Swordsman": 800 → 100/1600) and increase the ATK of "Dark Magician Knight" by the same amount ("Dark Magician Knight": 2500 → 3200/2000).
Turn 24: Yami Yugi
Yami Yugi draws. "Dark Magician Knight" attacks and destroys "Berserk Dragon". Since the Big Five's Deck Master was destroyed, they automatically lose by default.
- The Big Five are defeated, but they still try to advance on the gang to try to steal their bodies. Noah stops them, however, and punishes The Big Five for disappointing him again by banishing them to the depths of the Virtual World forever; he then goes off to challenge Seto Kaiba himself.
Differences in adaptations
- When The Big Five's Deck Masters are sacrificed together, the five-pointed star is given more points in the dub than usual.
- As with prior episodes, Mokuba's eyes while brainwashed glow red in the dub.
- In the Japanese version, Noah explains to the Big Five that nothing is real in the Virtual World and obtaining real bodies would be impossible.
- Noah's dismissal of the Big Five differs between versions; in the Japanese version, Noah deleted the Big Five, but in the dub, he simply imprisons each of the Big Five in an isolated portion of the Virtual World.
- When Joey Sets three cards face-down, he only uses two of them: "Knight's Title" and "Silver Dollar". The third card is "Gamble", based on his hand as seen in the previous episode.
- In the Japanese version, when "Dark Flare Knight" is Summoned, its Defense Points are shown as 2200 instead of 800.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- This card was played as a Magic Card. It was depicted as a Trap Card in the English version. It is a Trap Card in the TCG/OCG.
- This was played as a Normal Monster. It is a Fusion Monster in the TCG/OCG.
- This card was played as a Trap Card. It is a Magic Card in the TCG/OCG.
- This card can be seen in The Big Five's hand.