"Raidraptor", known as "Raid Raptors" (
The "Raidraptor" monsters are based on various genus and species of birds of prey, albeit with a mechanized appearance and equipped with weaponry. Most of the Level 4 monsters (with the exception of "Raidraptor - Necro Vulture") are based on the lanius, a genus of passerine birds in the shrike family, while most of the Extra Deck monsters are based on the falcon. Additional monsters are based on vultures, eagles, and strixes, a genus of earless owls. The Level 3 and Rank 3 monsters are based on eagles, while the members based on vultures and strixes have not a common Level or Rank. This scheme and naming pattern reflect the codenames of different members belonging to the same military unit.
All "Raidraptor" monsters display a signature crest somewhere on their bodies. The crest itself (or a modified version) also appears in the artwork of the various "Rank-Up Magic" Spell Cards related to this archetype.
Much like other Xyz-based archetypes, this Deck focused on swarming the field with necessary monsters to perform Xyz Summon. Most of their monsters have effects that allows them to be Summoned rapidly to the field, but the easiest method for them to do so usually involves cards from player's hand (such as "Raidraptor - Vanishing Lanius"), and therefore, the player needs to keep many resources in the hand to start their initial strategy.
Their main Xyz Monster, designed for this sole purpose, is "Raidraptor - Force Strix", and it's the most important Xyz Monster in the Deck. It allows the player to build up early card advantage by constantly searching the majority of their monsters, while also serves as the Deck's first line of defense. In order to Summon this card consistently and efficiently, cards like "Raidraptor - Tribute Lanius" are generally recommended. When used in conjunction with either "Raidraptor - Fuzzy Lanius" or "Raidraptor - Mimicry Lanius", "Tribute Lanius" essentially allows the Summon of "Force Strix" with just one card.
The majority of their Main Deck monsters usually have effects that can be activated during the Main Phase of the turn they are Normal or Special Summoned, and most of them are beneficial effects that helps them Summoning more monsters to the field. However, some of them (for example, "Fuzzy Lanius" or "Raidraptor - Call") restricts the player from Special Summoning cards other than "Raidraptor" monsters if their effect is used, so careful consideration and planning ahead is necessary to utilize those cards to their maximum potential.
Besides "Force Strix", they also have many other Xyz Monsters within their arsenal, and some of them specifically designed to eliminate multiple threats at once, particularly Special Summoned monsters. The majority of them also able of inflicting massive amounts of damage whether through their effects alone, directly or indirectly, or through attacking multiple times.
This archetype also heavily supports Rank-Up strategy, due to high number of "Rank-Up-Magic" Spell Cards associated with the archetype. Some of the "Rank-Up-Magic" cards designed exclusively for this archetype also have effects that allow them to Special Summon monsters from the Graveyard before Rank-Up (such as "Rank-Up-Magic Soul Shave Force"), and some of them even have secondary in-Graveyard effects that helps in recovery aspect, in some way or another (such as "Rank-Up-Magic Skip Force"). As the "Rank-Up-Magic" card's usefulness depends on whatever Xyz Monster the player has on the field at the time (and the fact that those cards aren't easily searchable), "Raidraptor - Last Strix" can be utilized to provide Xyz Monsters straight from the Extra Deck, as materials for Rank-Up if necessary. They also can recover those "Rank-Up-Magic" cards for another use, with cards like "Rank-Up-Magic Raid Force" (in-Graveyard effect) or "Raidraptor - Necro Vulture".
Ultimately, all of these options allows them to greatly increase their offensive power in a Duel, by accessing Xyz Monsters with higher Rank and more powerful effects. With cards like "Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon" and "Raidraptor - Final Fortress Falcon" at the top, this strategy allows them to achieve decisive victory.
Post New Master Rules
Originally, under the New Master Rules, "Raidraptor" monsters had great difficulty in Xyz Summoning more than one "Raidraptor - Force Strix" at a time, diminishing their early advantage. The release of LINK VRAINS Pack 2 gave the archetype its own Link Monster: "Raidraptor - Wise Strix", which can restore the archetype's consistent plays for the most part, as well as providing more Xyz Materials and easier access to their "Rank-Up-Magic" cards.
Post Master Rules (April 1, 2020 Revision)
With the revision of Master Rules, "Raidraptor" finally regained their full speed from the Master Rule 3 era, being able to Summon more than one "Force Strix" at a time, while also reaping the benefits of "Wise Strix'" swarming and "Rank-Up-Magic"-tutoring effects. A batch of support encouraging the usage of DARK Xyz Monsters alongside "The Phantom Knights" and the "Xyz Dragon" themes was also released in Phantom Rage, bringing with them less-restrictive extenders ("Raider's Wing" and "Raidraptor - Strangle Lanius"), a utility Xyz Monster ("Raider's Knight", which can Special Summon a DARK Xyz Monsters with its own effect, like "Arc Rebellion Xyz Dragon"), and a new "Rank-Up-Magic" card, "Phantom Knights' Rank-Up-Magic Force", which allows much easier access to both "Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon" and "Final Fortress Falcon".
- As the Deck relies heavily on Xyz Summoning, any card that prevents Special Summons, or cards that prevents them from accessing their Extra Deck will shut it down.
- The Deck also relies heavily on "Rank-Up-Magic" cards, so Spell negation cards also hampers it. "Anti-Spell Fragrance" in particular can help slow down the "Rank-Up Magic" cards, "Raidraptor - Call", and "Raidraptor - Nest", by forcing the opponent to Set their Spells before being able to use them. However, Quick-Play "Rank-Up-Magic" cards such as "Rank-Up-Magic Revolution Force" or "Doom Double Force" can still be used during the opponent's turn.
- Much like "Blackwing", this Deck often relies on their initial Normal Summon to start their strategy, and it is often difficult to handle Quick Effects that can disrupt any of their plays, such as those of "Zoodiac Drident" or "Master Peace, the True Dracoslaying King".
- All of the "Raidraptor" monsters are DARK Winged Beast monsters, so they are vulnerable to certain Attribute and Type-based floodgate cards such as "Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror".
|Official Raidraptor Deck|
- Many of the artworks of the Spell and Trap Cards that support this archetype (apart from the "Rank-Up-Magic" Spells) depict bird-shaped figures made of light.
- In the Japanese version of the Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V anime (and in the dub, in some cases), the "Raidraptor" monsters' cries were the same as that of "Earthbound Immortal Aslla piscu".
- The initial "Raidraptor" Xyz Monsters ("Raidraptor - Rise Falcon", "Blaze Flacon", and "Revolution Falcon"), as they evolve, appear to become more simplified and streamlined (caused by losing most of their body parts).
- This may reflect their evolution as they faced harsh battles and struggles, making them stronger, reflected by their higher Ranks and more powerful effects.
- These three monsters also represent the different stages of a revolution, fitting Shay Obsidian's background as a member of The Resistance in the Xyz Dimension, against Fusion Dimension's Duel Academy.
- This archetype has the most "Rank-Up-Magic" cards associated with it, with 6 in the TCG/OCG.
- This archetype also has the most related Xyz Monsters, with 12.
- YGOrganization Recommended Raidraptor Deck