Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 092
|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 092|
Hieratikku Tekisuto no Nazo
Mystery of the Hieratic Text
|Japanese air date||
January 29, 2002
|English air date||
October 11, 2003
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 2)|
|Previous||Mind Game: Mai Vs. Marik, Part 2|
|Next||A Duel with Destiny, Part 1|
"Mind Game: Mai Vs. Marik, Part 3", known as "Mystery of the Hieratic Text" in the Japanese version, is the ninety-second episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. It first aired in Japan on January 29, 2002, and in the United States on October 11, 2003.
- Yami Marik tells Mai that she cannot use "The Winged Dragon of Ra" because she doesn't understand the ancient scriptures written on the card.
- Since Marik knows the chant of "The Winged Dragon of Ra", he takes control of it.
- Because this is a Shadow Game, "The Winged Dragon of Ra's" attack is real and would kill Mai if it hit her (in the dub, instead it would destroy her mind). Mai cannot surrender due to being bound to the Sacred Stone of Ujat by "Holding Arms" and "Holding Legs".
- Joey climbs onto the field and tries to unchain Mai. Although she does not remember him because the Shadow Game has wiped him from her mind, his bravery causes Mai to remember him.
- Yami Yugi climbs onto the field and blocks "The Winged Dragon of Ra's" attack from hitting Joey or Mai, but is knocked out in the process.
- Mai loses the duel and Marik traps her mind in her subconscious, where she is forced to watch her friends having fun without her. In her mind, she is trapped in the lower chamber of a giant hourglass, where as more sand flows into her chamber she gradually loses all of her memories until she dies. (In the dub, her soul is sent to the Shadow Realm, where she endures the same punishment, but is trapped for eternity rather than until her death.)
Featured Duel: Mai Valentine vs. Yami Marik, Part 3
Mai has 2100 Life Points remaining and controls "The Winged Dragon of Ra" in its Sphere Mode.
Yami Marik has 1050 Life Points remaining and controls "Holding Arms" (500/?) in Attack Position.
Turn 14: Yami Marik
Yami Marik draws. He then Normal Summons "Holding Legs" (800/600) in Attack Position. The effect of "Holding Legs" then activates, returning all Magic and Trap Cards on the field to their owner's hands. Because he controls "Holding Arms" and "Holding Legs", "Sacred Stone of Ujat" appears. "Holding Arms" and "Holding Legs" attack directly (Mai 2100 → 1300 → 800). "Holding Arms" and "Holding Legs" bind Mai to the "Sacred Stone of Ujat", preventing her from surrendering. Marik then chants the ancient text on "The Winged Dragon of Ra" to gain control of it and unlock it ("The Winged Dragon of Ra": ???? → 5400/???? → 3900). "The Winged Dragon of Ra" attacks directly (Mai 800 → 0).
Changes to the English Version
- The cuffs are obscured when they grab Mai's arms and legs in the US version.
- Mai's skirt is made longer in the dub.
- A shot of "Holding Legs" merging into the stone is cut from the US version.
- A shot of Mai being attacked is cut from the US version.
- In the dub when "Winged Dragon of Ra" attacks Mai, her mind will be trapped in the Shadow Realm forever; in the Japanese version she will die.
- Cut from the US version is a scene in which Yami Marik explains his birth was at the tombkeeper ceremony on the day Marik was ten. The pain and suffering his father gave him made him want to destroy himself, and he thus created another personality to live and protect himself.
- Yami Marik about to kill Yugi with the dagger is cut.
- In the giant hourglass, Mai is heard screaming for help in the dub and even responding to Yami Marik. However, in the original, she is only heard making tiny sounds, including large gasps, and never yelling, even when pounding on the hourglass walls, although her mouth is still seen moving as though asking for help. Also, when Joey disappears from her memory after Yami Marik takes back his God card, Joey says "Hey, Mai. Later", and she screams for him to not leave her and come back. However, Japanese Joey makes no sound when he is erased from her memories, but Mai finally whispers "Jonouchi".
- Mai's eyes are closed in the dub when she gets her mind sent to the Shadow Realm/dies.
- Yugi's golden eye on his forehead disappears and comes back multiple times. After Marik warns Yugi not to intrude on the Shadow Game again, Yugi causes the golden eye to first appear on his forehead, but when Tea voices her worries about Mai, it disappears. However, as Marik starts the chant and the sphere starts to unbind into Ra, the eye reappears, but then in a close-up, when Yugi says that the monster belongs to Marik again, it is gone. When the wind blows extremely hard after Marik completely summons Ra, Yugi is seen covering his right eye due to the wind, without his golden eye on his forehead. However, in the next scene of him, a close-up split between Yugi and Kaiba, the eye is shown once again. His golden eye is seen right before Ra begins to power up its attack, but then when he protects Joey and Mai from it, the eye is no longer there.
- In the dub, Marik's dagger is not shown, however a shot is still included where he puts it away.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- This card belongs to Marik, but it was taken by Mai via "Amazon Chain Master's" effect in the previous episode.