Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 056
|English||Yugi vs. The Rare Hunter, Part 1|
|Japanese OP||"S H U F F L E"|
|Japanese ED||"The Afternoon of that Day"|
|English OP & ED||"Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 2 Theme"|
|Japanese||May 22, 2001|
|English||January 11, 2003|
|Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes (season 2)|
|Previous||"Stalked by the Rare Hunters"|
|Next||"Yugi vs. The Rare Hunter, Part 2"|
"Yugi vs. The Rare Hunter, Part 1", known as "Fierce Battle! Battle City Begins" in the Japanese version, is the fifty-sixth episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. It first aired in Japan on May 22, 2001, and in the United States on January 11, 2003.
As Seto Kaiba announces the start of the Battle City, Yugi and Joey start moving around as everybody else does. Joey then spots the Rare Hunter who took his "Red-Eyes Black Dragon". Joey then challenges the Rare Hunter to an ante Duel so that he will be able to win it back. The Rare Hunter refuses to Duel him, but wants to Duel Yugi to get his "Dark Magician".
Yami Yugi agrees to Duel him on the condition that should he win, the Rare Hunter should hand back Joey's "Red-Eyes Black Dragon". As the Duel starts, Joey tries to tell Yami about the Rare Hunter's strategy, but Yami tells him not to say so, as it would be unfair. (In the dub, the Rare Hunter threatens to tear up the "Red-Eyes Black Dragon" if Joey tried to tell Yugi.)
At Kaiba's control center, he watches the Duel taking place. He is informed that Yugi's opponent is one of the Rare Hunters who had hacked themselves into the KaibaCorp mainframe to enlist themselves as participants. Hearing this, Mokuba tries to go and stop the Duel and disqualify him, but Kaiba refrains him from doing so, as he wants the other Egyptian God Cards from the Rare Hunters.
Featured Duel: Yami Yugi vs. Rare Hunter, Part 1
Turn 2: Rare Hunter
The Rare Hunter's hand contains "Right Arm of the Forbidden One", "Left Leg of the Forbidden One", "Gear Golem the Moving Fortress", "Graceful Charity", and "Stone Statue of the Aztecs". The Rare Hunter draws "Graceful Charity" and subsequently activates it to draw three cards and discard two cards from his hand. The Rare Hunter's hand contains (from left to right) "Right Arm of the Forbidden One", "Right Leg of the Forbidden One", "Left Leg of the Forbidden One", "Gear Golem the Moving Fortress", "Stone Statue of the Aztecs", and another "Graceful Charity".
Yami Yugi activates his face-down "Light of Intervention". Now both players can't Set monsters and any monsters that would be Set must be Normal Summoned in face-up Defense Position. The Rare Hunter Normal Summons "Stone Statue of the Aztecs" (300/2000) in Defense Position.
Turn 3: Yami Yugi
Yami Yugi draws. He then Tributes "Beta The Magnet Warrior" in order to Tribute Summon "Berfomet" (1400/1800) in Attack Position. Since "Berfomet" was Normal Summoned, Yami Yugi activates its effect to add "Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts" from his Deck to his hand. Yami Yugi then activates his face-down "Polymerization" to fuse the "Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts" in his hand with "Berfomet" and Fusion Summon "Chimera the Flying Mythical Beast" (2100/1800) in Attack Position. Under Battle City Rules, Fusion Monsters may not attack in the same turn that they are Fusion Summoned. Yami Yugi Sets a card.
Turn 4: Rare Hunter
The Rare Hunter draws. He then activates another "Graceful Charity" to draw three cards and discard two cards from his hand. The Rare Hunter's hand contains "Right Arm of the Forbidden One", "Right Leg of the Forbidden One", "Left Leg of the Forbidden One", "Exodia the Forbidden One", "Gear Golem the Moving Fortress", and "Swords of Revealing Light". The Rare Hunter intends to complete "Exodia" by drawing the final piece of Exodia ("Left Arm of the Forbidden One") on his next Draw Phase. The Rare Hunter Normal Summons "Gear Golem the Moving Fortress" (800/2200) in Defense Position.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
Differences in adaptations
- The word "Close" on Grandpa's door is replaced with a red circle and a line through it.
- The word "Almondo" is removed from the coffee shop.
- A sign behind Rex that says "Domino Station" is removed. Also DR is removed from his hat.
- The words "Duel Disk" on Kaiba's blimp is removed from the dub.
- In the dub, like in the previous episode, the duelists' rankings are changed from a level to a number of stars.
- The info of the Rare Hunter (in Japanese) is removed from the dub.
- In the Japanese version, Yami Yugi refused to let Joey tell him the Rare Hunter's strategy, saying he had no right to know. In the English dub, the Rare Hunter threatened to tear up the "Red-Eyes Black Dragon" card if Joey revealed his strategy.
- In the dub, Kaiba's real reason for not letting Mokuba disqualify the Rare Hunter is less about getting an Egyptian God Card and more about watching Yugi get defeated by Exodia, just like how Yugi defeated him with it.
- Yami Yugi's head appears larger than normal when he is first shown looking at his/Yugi's deck.
- When the Rare Hunter is looking through his computer at which duelist to fight next, it first shows Yugi and Mai and as the Rare Hunter continues looking and stops at the profiles of Sid and Zygor (both 3 stars in the dub and level 5 in the original). However, when Joey comes up and confronts the man, the next scene that shows enough of the computer reveals it has Yugi and Mai on it again.
- This card was seen in the Rare Hunter's hand.