Flip monsters (Japanese: リバースモンスター Ribāsu Monsutā "Reverse Monster"), formerly Flip Effect Monsters (リバース
Most Flip monsters have a Trigger Effect that activates upon being flipped face-up, which is called a Flip effect; a few exceptional Flip monsters do not have such an effect, but instead have other effects that apply after being flipped face-up.
Originally, Flip Effect Monsters were simply monsters that had a Flip Effect.
In the early Japanese OCG, Flip monsters were interchangeably referred to as either "Flip monsters" (リバースモンスター) or "Flip Effect Monsters" (リバース
Starting in Starter Deck 2014 (in the OCG) and Super Starter: Space-Time Showdown (in the TCG), Flip became classified as an ability, and the word "Flip" began to be written on the cards' Type/Ability line. At the same time, they were renamed to "Flip monsters" in both the OCG and TCG (returning to their original Japanese name).
A Flip effect is a type of Trigger Effect that is preceded by "FLIP:". This kind of effect meets its activation timing when the Flip monster on the field is flipped from face-down to a face-up (even during the Damage Step).
Flip effects are exclusive to Flip monsters. While there are non-Flip monsters that have effects that activate when they are flipped face-up, these are not Flip effects.
A small number of Flip monsters do not have a flip effect. However, they all have an equivalent effect that applies after they are flipped face-up in place of it. These equivalent effects include Continuous Effects that only apply if the card was flipped face-up, and effects with delayed or conditional effects that require them being flipped face-up as a precondition.
Effect Flip Monster ("Magical Undertaker")
Tuner Flip Monster ("Shaddoll Falco")
Pendulum Flip Monster ("Performapal Momoncarpet")
- Flip monsters usually have a low Level, and often have low ATK and DEF.
- There are currently no Cyberse, Dinosaur, Fish, or Wyrm Flip monsters.
- Flip monsters are rarely used in the anime; in the anime, prior to Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL, it was legal to Normal Summon a monster in face-up Defense Position, and monsters were rarely Set.
- "Performapal Momoncarpet" is the only Pendulum Flip monster.
- The only characters to have a Deck based on Flip monsters are (the appropriately-named) Flip Turner from Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL, Aura Sentia from Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V and Akira Zaizen from Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS.
- "Subterror Behemoth Ultramafus" has the highest Level and original ATK of all Flip monsters, being Level 12 with 3000 ATK.
- "Pot of The Forbidden" and "Deus X-Krawler" are tied for the highest DEF of all Flip monsters, with 3000 DEF.
- "Aroma Jar" is the first Flip monster to not have a Flip effect.
- The illegal card "Masahiro the Dark Clown" is the only Flip monster to have flavor text.