Skill Cards are cards with dark blue-colored borders that can affect the state of the game. These cards are exclusive to the Speed Duel format and debuting in Speed Duel Starter Decks: Destiny Masters and Speed Duel Starter Decks: Duelists of Tomorrow. Skill Cards are not placed in the Main Deck, and do not currently have a dedicated zone on the field, however, Konami recommends placing them near the Field Zone or Extra Deck. Another distinction of Skill Cards from other cards is that the card backing is different from the standard card backing, featuring some artwork of the character associated with the skill and text describing its activation conditions. The effects and names of some Skill Cards are adapted from Skills in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links.
- Each player can only have 1 Skill Card during a Duel.
- At the start of the Duel, each player places their Skill Card face-down next to their Field Zone or Extra Deck, where both players can see the character but not the actual Skill being used. Some Skill Cards have specific instructions written on its back side on where to place the Skill Card.
- Once the activation conditions of a Skill Card are met and there are no cards resolving on a Chain, the player can announce the activation of the Skill, flip the card over and resolve it. If the Skill Card has no activation conditions, it can only be activated during the player's Main Phase.
- Activating a Skill or Skill Card does not start a Chain and is not a card effect. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to the activation of a Skill. However, cards and effects can be activated in response to the resolution of a Skill. E.g.: If "Cocoon of Ultra Evolution" Special Summons a monster, players can activate a card effect such as "Floodgate Trap Hole" in response to the Special Summon.
- The Skill on a Skill Card can only be activated once per Duel unless it has specific instructions or flips itself face-down.
- If a Skill lists a type of card in its Type line, such as Continuous Spell or Continuous Trap, it is always that type of card and follows all the rules for that type of card instead of the rules for Skill Cards.
Skill Card ("Tribal Synergy")
Continuous Spell Skill Card ("It's a Toon World!")
Field Spell Skill Card ("Peak Performance")
Continuous Trap Skill Card ("Call of the Haunted")
- List of Skill Cards
- Gallery of Skill Card backings: