|Japanese (base text)||
Some major Sea Serpent monsters include "Levia-Dragon - Daedalus", "Ocean Dragon Lord - Neo-Daedalus", "Orca Mega-Fortress of Darkness", "Bahamut Shark", "Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier", "Sea Dragon Lord Gishilnodon", "Lavalval Chain", "Water Dragon", "Deep Sea Diva", "Moulinglacia the Elemental Lord", "Number 32: Shark Drake", "Abyss Dweller", "Mermail Abyssmegalo", and "Poseidra, the Atlantean Dragon".
In the early stages of the game, Sea Serpent monsters and Fish monsters acted as a pair, with Fish being weaker lower-Level monsters, and Sea Serpents were the more powerful higher-Level monsters. (This is equivalent to the old relationship between Dinosaur monsters and Reptile monsters).
Prior to the release of Raging Battle, the only support card Sea Serpent monsters had was "Umi" (which was later replaced in usage by "A Legendary Ocean", which does not support them). Raging Battle introduced the Sea Serpent support cards "Spined Gillman", "Mermaid Archer" and "Deep Sea Diva", with the latter being the first card to exclusively support Sea Serpents. In contrast to early Sea Serpents, which were generally very strong high-Level monsters, the new Sea Serpents and their support focus on low-Level monsters and swarming, which allows for a viable Sea Serpent-based Deck.
In Photon Shockwave and Generation Force, additional support was introduced for Sea Serpent monsters, including "Shark Stickers", "Fish and Kicks", and "Oh F!sh!". After Realm of the Sea Emperor and Abyss Rising, Sea Serpent monsters became competitive with the creation of the "Merlantean" Deck.
- There are only very few non-WATER Sea Serpent monsters:
- LIGHT: "Lightray Daedalus" and "Kaiser Sea Horse".
- DARK: "Chaos Daedalus", "Danger! Ogopogo!", and "Gladiator Beast Domitianus".
- EARTH: "Subterror Behemoth Stygokraken", which is also the only Sea Serpent Flip monster.
- FIRE: "Lavalval Chain", which is also the only Sea Serpent to be Forbidden.
- WIND: "Spearfish Soldier", "Airorca", and "Skystarray".