Yu-Gi-Oh! - Duel 219
|English||The Dark Game!!|
|Japanese magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump 2001 #24|
|Tankōbon volume||25: "The Power of Ra"|
|Bunkoban volume||Volume 15|
|Japanese||May 14, 2001|
|Next||"The Unbreakable Duelist"|
"The Dark Game!!", titled "Jet Black Game!!" (漆黒のゲーム！！ Shikkoku no Gēmu!!) in the Japanese version, is the 219th chapter of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga. In its first English printing, it was numbered as the 160th chapter of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist. In the 3-in-1 edition, its number was changed to match the original Japanese printing.
Dark Marik has turned the Duel into a Shadow Game. Mai is initially thrown off, but she is grateful when Jonouchi and his friends show up, though she continues to rebuff him. Jonouchi maintains that they are friends. Dark Marik, amused, thinks that they should watch as he destroys their friend. Dark Yugi then realises that Dark Marik has startewd a Shadow Game, and he begs Marik not to do this, and Mai not to Duel, but both refuse. Mai vows to defeat Marik, take his God card, and see Jonouchi and Yugi in the finals. Dark Marik actively encourages Mai to keep up her attitude so he can feed her to the darkness.
The Duel begins, and Mai appears to take an early lead over "Makyura the Destructor," but Dark Marik's Shadow Game has caused life lines to appear between the player and their monsters. The injuries their monsters take are inflicted to them as well via illusions, though the pain is all too real. Mai's first strike slices off both "Makyura's" and Dark Marik's heads, reducing Mai to terrified screams within minutes, and Dark Marik returns the favour, returning Makyura to the field with "Rope of Life" and attacking, slashing Mai across the chest. The Shadow Game causes Mai to see blood spurting from the apparent wound, sending her into shock. But no-one else can see the injuries.
Featured Duels: Mai Kujaku VS Dark Marik
Turn 2: Dark Marik
Dark Marik draws, and then Normal Summons "Makyura the Destructor" in Attack Position (1600/ 1200). "Makyura the Destructor" attacks "Amazoness Swords Woman", but Mai activates her Set Trap Card "Amazon Archers" to decrease "Makyura the Destructor's" ATK by 500. "Makyura the Destructor" is destroyed. During the turn that it's destroyed "Makyura the Destructor's" effect allows Marik to activate Trap Cards from his hand. He activates the Trap Card "Rope of Life", discarding his hand and Special Summoning "Makyura the Destructor" from the Graveyard in Attack Position and increasing its ATK by 800 ("Makyura the Destructor": 1600 → 2400 ATK). "Makyura the Destructor" attacks and destroys "Amazoness Swords Woman" (Mai: 4000 → 3600 Life Points).
The following cards appeared in this chapter. Cards in italics debuted here.
A number of changes were made including:
- In the manga, Mai's breasts were bigger and her cleavage was more revealing, compared to the anime.
- The rules of the Shadow Game were different:
- In the anime each time a Duelist loses Life Points by an attack, they forget one person in their mind, while in the manga each time one of the duelist's monsters are destroyed, the Duelist feels the pain as how their monster fell, for example when Dark Marik's Makyura the Destructor (manga) was destroyed and its head was cut, Marik's head was also cut.
- In the anime, the Duel started before Yami Marik started the Shadow Game. Those events of the Duel do not happen in the manga.
- "Oda's Deep Thoughts". thegrandline.com. (release date for Weekly Shōnen Jump 2001 #24)